Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering wearing cufflinks with a single/barrel cuff sleeve.

Have only rarely seen this.
Don't care for the thickness of the french cuff.

Anyone else feel this way?

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts

Opinions?
I still have an old old single barrel french cuff shirt from way back. Why it isn't a shoe rag yet, I am not sure. I'll probably never wear it.

Wait until you like double cuffs. I can't get away from them anymore, and am almost completely over button cuff shirts of any sort.

·
Registered
356 Posts
While I may be mistaken, I thought that a single link cuff was the most appropriate cuff for very formal events because it could be starched more stiff than a double cuff. That would make it all the more inappropriate for day wear however.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Have only rarely seen this.
Don't care for the thickness of the french cuff.

Anyone else feel this way?

Opinions?
I have a couple single cuff shirts that I had made. They are the only correct choice for a white tie shirt, but I don't see how that disqualifies them from being used on a "regular" shirt. I've slowly grown to like them because they do provide more sleekness to the cuff while allowing you to still use cufflinks, which is nice in warmer months.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree...wear them with impunity!

As mentioned above , they are not without precedent. Yes, they are the kind of cuffs worn with the most formal of men's wear...white tie and tails. But they are in no way comparable to a clip on tie.

It's the kind of thing that if Fred Astaire or Gianni Agnelli did, everyone here would be applauding their 'daring' and ability to flout tradition. Consider it a personal 'eccentricity' if you will...no one is hurt.

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
They're very nice indeed. They need to be stiffer than an ordinary cuff. Most convertible cuffs are too soft. The end should also be rounded, not square cut like on most convertible cuffs.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I believe that Alex Kabbaz favours them, and they were a staple of menswear in the Edwardian period (check one of the reprint copies of their 1905 catalogue which T.M. Lewin were offering if you don't believe me*) so there is plenty of precedent for them. Personally I wouldn't of out of my way to wear them (except when trying to look consciously victorian/Edwardian) as I like double-cuffs, but there is nothing wrong in principle with them. Convertible cuffs, being neither one thing nor the other are a different matter, and I would steer clear, at least for formal dress.

*cf. the illustration on this webpage, taken from it:

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I was watching a classic TV show on Hulu, and one immaculately dressed man was sporting a single cuff with cufflinks...Lurch, on The Addams Family.

(Gomez's suit was spectacularly and I presume deliberately ill-fitting. Carolyn Jones's attire, on the other hand, fit her quite adequately ;))

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I saw a video clip of Winston Churchill the other day and noticed that he was wearing the single cuff with cuff links.

Cruiser
Alex Kabbaz, Winston Churchill, and me. I really don't see that there could be any stronger validation than that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Alex Kabbaz, Winston Churchill, and me. I really don't see that there could be any stronger validation than that.
Sounds like you are in good company. Personally, I don't care for the look, but I have seen "single" French cuffs on formal shirts from some high-end manufacturers (I don't recall which ones) as well as on casual fashion shirts by Prada, Dolce and Gabbana and the like.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts