Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am cruising the Mediterranean in May on board the Queen Mary.2 I am considering taking a white dinner jacket to supplement my tuxedo formal nights. Would it be appropriate or is it to early in the season
Fine in the Med. Best to match your jacket to the ships' officers' mess jackets. When they go from navy to white, follow suit. That was the traditional way of doing it.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
My last carribean cruise was in March a few years ago ...

It was on an Italian ship for seven days, three of which were formal. The Italian officers all wore white, never navy. There was a mix of tuxedos and white dinner jackets. I took both and wore both. The only thing I noticed out of the ordinary was the plethora of velvet slippers worn by the passengers, most of whom were from NY.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The key for a white dinner jacket on board is partially the same as on land: Summer. At sea, however, the latitude also plays a role: Any time of year between the Tropics of Capricorn and Cancer. Naturally, the ship's officers would know when those demarkations are crossed and change uniforms accordingly. If you want a heads up, consult the positioning chart or just ask a navigation officer (black band in the arm braid) when that is going to happen. Black DJ can be worn during any season and at any latitude.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Having had the opportunity, twice now, to sail on the QM2, I can say that at dinner you will see all manner of dress from dark business suits to various tuxedos and a smattering of white dinner jackets. On our first cruise to the Bahamas, I don't think I saw any more white dinner jackets than I saw on our second cuuise last September out of New York. There were three formal nights, and I saw almost everything. I actually didn't see any gentlemen wearing opera pumps, though.
Unitil recently, I didn't own a tuxedo, and I just wore a black suit:eek: and AE Byrons in black, and I really was appropriately dressed. But, on my next cruise I'll be certain to wear my new tuxedo so as to really be "appropriately" dressed!

P.S. Don't miss having lunch one day in the Golden Lion Pub, bangers and mash and fish and chips, as English as it gets:icon_smile:

Mark S.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.