Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems as though Ben Silver (www.bensilver.com) has a few special makeup Crockett and Jones shoes that are not available elsewhere. Has anyone purchased the Carlisle and if so, what do you think of it? I like the look of that shoe and it doesn't seem to be available elsewhere.

For the Crockett and Jones shoes offered by Ben Silver that are not special makeup, does it make any sense to buy it from them instead of P LAL? Ben Silver's markup seems to be quite high (that is why I am hesitant to buy the Carlisle).

·
Registered
217 Posts
My question would be more like: Why should I pay BS a $200 premium for exactly the same shoe I can get from P. Lal or pediwear?
No all shoes though. For example you can get Roseberry loafer in Tan from PLAL but Ben Silver has both Tan and Tobaco Suede. Liekwise Weymouth is available in Tan and Dark Brown but only Black and Dark Brown from Plal.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I was inches away from ordering the Cornhill Blucher..

https://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefront.asp?root=112&show=114&display=3651&group=1

but when put in cart it said something like currently in production...available soon...so I held off.

Also seemed a little high price, agree with others there, but it's a pretty shoe.

I'm also not certain on the sizing -- whether it would be the same for C&J for polo scale, or the UK scale??

I also like those Harvard unlined cordo. loafers.....

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Beware of C&J from Ben Silver ....

They say their C&Js are sized in US sizes, but they were not when I bought the Antique tan Weymouth. I had to return it because it was marked with UK sizes, and also pay for the shipping. If P.Lal or Pediware doesn't have the shoe you want, try Robert Old in England. They carry all the handgrades and can get others. They are a little more expensive than P. Lal, but they pay shipping from the UK to the US. I still beat Silver's price by $125 and paid no shipping. I would not ever again buy shoes from Silver.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
No all shoes though. For example you can get Roseberry loafer in Tan from PLAL but Ben Silver has both Tan and Tobaco Suede. Liekwise Weymouth is available in Tan and Dark Brown but only Black and Dark Brown from Plal.
These would then fall under the "special make-up" proviso that figured in the OP's question . . . if the unique color is worth that much to you, BS will be your choice, I suppose.

But the original question was about shoes that are NOT special make-up (i.e., not unique to BS). The OP asked, in effect, "should I pay extra for those?"

To me it seems a no-brainer that the answer is "No."

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ben Silver Sale

Right now there is a Ben Silver online sale going on. I have looked at their online store before but thought the prices too high. The prices for this sale are very good and so I bought two ties and a shirt. The ties were $30 each marked down from $120. The shirt was $46 marked down from $192. The merchandise is top quality and I am very satisfied with it. There are very limited selections left but the sale runs through Sunday if anyone is interested. There are no good shoes in the sale.

·
Registered
217 Posts
These would then fall under the "special make-up" proviso that figured in the OP's question . . . if the unique color is worth that much to you, BS will be your choice, I suppose.

But the original question was about shoes that are NOT special make-up (i.e., not unique to BS). The OP asked, in effect, "should I pay extra for those?"

To me it seems a no-brainer that the answer is "No."
You are right, I only skimmed through OP question. I guess I assume that everybody know the best place to buy regular C & J are PLAL and Pediwear.

But for Carlisle I am afraid OP has no other choice but to buy from Ben Silver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.