Men's Clothing Forums banner

Creasing by toe on wholecut AE chukkas

5K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  tmgaus51 
#1 ·
Hi All, just wore these for the first time yesterday and noticed heavy creasing (with some accompanying blistering) just under the big toenail of my left foot around where the toe cap would be. Strangely, my left foot is bigger so I would have thought creasing would occur on the right if anywhere.

I have other AEs in the same last and size (with no fit/creasing issues) so I'm wondering if this looks normal. On the right shoe it seems the leather is too stiff near the top to crease there.

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot.

Dave

Footwear Brown Joint Jeans Trousers

See less See more
#5 ·
The creasing in and of itself is not unusual. The nature of whole cuts is that the creasing is all the more dramatic given the blank canvas it presents.

The problem is the pain you’re experiencing. I’m not sure if this is something that will go away in time when the leather breaks in or something that will persist.

One wearing is hardly enough to be sure. Unfortunately, I’m not sure you can return them at this point.

#10 ·
Do those boots fit properly or are they too wide? It doesn’t seem as if you have enough volume to fill the boots, resulting in the.excessive creasing.

The boots look like they’ve been worn hard dozens and dozens of times without the benefit of shoe trees. Besides causing blistering of your toe (which I suspect will just get worse with wear), they look terrible. I cannot imagine how you will ever enjoy wearing them, no less tolerate wearing them.

I suggest you contact AE and plead, beg, cajole them into letting you exchange or return them. Failing that, sell them now before they become totally worthless (which might be too late already). $25 or $50 is better than nothing, as you cannot continue to wear them and keep ripping your foot apart.

That may seem harsh or extreme, but you are never going to get enjoyment out of them, just pain and suffering. Limit your losses and pain now. Losing $475 is better than losing your foot health and dignity.

#14 ·
Here's a pic of another pair in the same last and size and in the same position. There is some creasing by the toe but not nearly as pronounced as on the Chukkas. I do have a bit of room above my big toe, but this is how AE sized me in order to fit my long, narrow, flat feet.

Jeans Trousers Shoe Leg Human body

#13 ·
If all that wear and tear is the result of a single wearing, you either bought a pair of leather lemons or you bought an oversized pair of Chukka's for some undersized feet. Momsdoc's post #10 gives perhaps the most straightforward, truly useful advice offered in this thread. Perhaps in the future the OP should limit new shoe wear to indoors and on carpeted surfaces until the acceptability of the shoe's fit has been determined. Good luck in your efforts to resolve this with AE. ;)

#16 ·
Thanks Adelantado. You're saying this based on how they look on my feet or in general? I just want to figure out how I could have avoided this without actually wearing them for a few days.

I called AE and I'm sending in the shoes. They will examine them for defects. Not a return but the best I could do after wearing them.

#19 ·
Thanks Adelantado. You're saying this based on how they look on my feet or in general? I just want to figure out how I could have avoided this without actually wearing them for a few days.
The excess welting material would NOT have caused the creasing. It is an additional issue besides the creasing. The welt was not trimmed properly and it is unsightly the way it sticks out...

#27 ·
you indicate that you live in NYC. Why not just go in and try on a pair? Seems logical as opposed to the route you've taken. You've already worn the shoes. I hope for your sake you're made whole, but all of this trouble could have been avoided if you had just gone in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.