Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the fence about this.

First I got 'em too short (M2 Bills with no break) and realized that having them pressed WITH a crease in mitigated the dorky look of wide leg openings.

Now that I've got the length right, I'm wondering whether to continue with the crease, which perhaps look a bit uptight.

In the pics, I don't notice many creases in the khakis of most posters in this forum.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I never even heard of creaseless khakis until I hit this forum...Fine if it works for you, but not for me.

I started wearing pressed (creased) khakis/chinos in junior high school in the 50s; see no reason to change at this late date.:icon_smile_wink:

Happy New Year/Buon Capo d'Anno.

hbs

·
Registered
114 Posts
My non-iron chinos seem to have creases in them, so when I iron them (even non-iron, they don't look acceptable to me), I try to keep the crease. The non-non-iron chinos usually don't get the crease. Partially because I have a hard time getting them right, and partially because I like the more relaxed look.

Creases on jeans should be a no-no. Ironing jeans at all should also be a no-no.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
My next pair will have creases. I don't think cuffs will look right without them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A argument could be made that as Bill's are derived directly from military-issue khakis, which definitely required a crease (knife-edged and heavily starched, no less), one cannot say that khakis ought never to be creased.

Khakis are very adaptable to the occasion. For me, creaseless if just knocking about (tho' wide leg ones like Bill's M-1 can look a bit too baggy, IMHO. By comparison, the old Duck Head drainpipes looked better creaseless); but for dress casual, in the South at least, I'd want a crease and light starch.

Just my take.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
My khakis are all non-iron so they have a crease, but I never iron them. I like for everything about them to be as "soft" as possible. I take them out of the dryer and hang them on a hanger with a fore/aft crease.

With regard to jeans, I fold them out of the dryer but not with a fore/aft crease. I've never ironed a pair of jeans.

Cruiser

·
Registered
608 Posts
Khakis are "casual". OCBDs are "casual". Blazers are "casual". Loafers are "casual".

But put them all together, and you will probably be the best dressed person wherever you may be. So the notion they can not be creased because they are casual seems off to me.

I certainly subscribe to the "do what suits you" mindset on this one. I wear them both ways. Of course, I am the guy that defends the Target store no wrinkle chinos, so YMMV.

·
Registered
628 Posts
No creases are certainly more tradly. This has nothing to do w/ WWII issue clothes or southern starching traditions, but everything to do w/ the popularization of plastic clothes (polyester) in the 1960s and 70s. It's fundamental Fussellism: plastic clothes allowed the status-conscious middle classes to attain their ideal of WRINKLELESS CLOTHES, to them a symbol of RESPECTABILITY, of all their idols the capo di tutti capi.

The taste of the upper-middles and uppers is basically defined by their rejection of what the middles do. Hence they stayed w/ cotton and wool. Slightly wrinkled shirts, obviously cotton, thus betoken a greater sense of class security and more upper-middle tradliness than the perfectly unwrinkled shirts of the nervous, anxious middle class.

Back to creases: the polyester or non-iron shirts of the middles have creases that never, ever come out. That's how you know they're not the real thing. Brooks and Mercer OCBDs have no creases after the first wash.

Likewise the chinos w/ the permanent crease, a sad sign of pants made out of recycled Coke bottles, or marinated in Teflon. Ironically, to iron or starch your chinos is to do work that has the effect of lowering the class signal your clothes send.

Come and get me, copper!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, so creases are declasse. At least in polyester pants. Not sure about cotton khakis, though. If pressing a crease into them makes them look like polyester, I'd better not.

I'm on the fence still, or on the crease.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I crease mine, iron them myself with premium starch. As soon as they've been worn a couple of hours the wrinkles appear. By the second day of wearing, the creases are less noticeable, and the wrinkles are more prominent. Then they go into the laundry for the process to start all over again. I think they just don't need to be too perfect. Just my opinion...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.