Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I guess that depends on where you live. If you live in a rural area in the Western U.S. or in a city such as Dallas, Houston, or Nashville I'm sure you will still see a fair number of cowboy hats.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
For this forum, I'd say they are not a regular item of fashion worn by the members.

In general I'd assume the "acceptability" of a cowboy hat as a fashion piece depends on where in the country you live. I'm in California and I don't believe I've seen anyone wearing a cowboy hat (those straw "crumpled" ones worn by rockstars and wannabe rockstars don't count as cowboy hats) with a suit.

I have a cowboy hat, but I also have wranglers, ropers and I have access to horses when I want to ride. I don't live on a ranch nor do I own horses, but I consider myself a cowboy at heart. That being said, I believe it has been almost a year since I wore my cowboy hat.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess that depends on where you live. If you live in a rural area in the Western U.S. or in a city such as Dallas, Houston, or Nashville I'm sure you will still see a fair number of cowboy hats.

Cruiser
That's what got me thinking this. I've been as far west as Beaumont Texas, throughout Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama (home of Hank Williams), Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, parts of Tennessee, Nevada (Truckee, Reno), up and down the California coast. Rarely, if ever do I see anyone wearing cowboy hats anymore. Most ranchers I've seen tend to wear baseball caps.

Are there places left in the US where you see them?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For this forum, I'd say they are not a regular item of fashion worn by the members.

In general I'd assume the "acceptability" of a cowboy hat as a fashion piece depends on where in the country you live. I'm in California and I don't believe I've seen anyone wearing a cowboy hat (those straw "crumpled" ones worn by rockstars and wannabe rockstars don't count as cowboy hats) with a suit.

I have a cowboy hat, but I also have wranglers, ropers and I have access to horses when I want to ride. I don't live on a ranch nor do I own horses, but I consider myself a cowboy at heart. That being said, I believe it has been almost a year since I wore my cowboy hat.
I wear them back-country camping where nobody will see me wearing them anyway. They're great for keeping branches and banana spiders out of your face when your climbing through the brush, and great for fanning fires and storing picked berries. I like how they keep the rain from pouring down the back of your neck as well. I wonder if there's anywhere people wear them in public.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
That's what got me thinking this. I've been as far west as Beaumont Texas, throughout Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama (home of Hank Williams), Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, parts of Tennessee, Nevada (Truckee, Reno), up and down the California coast. Rarely, if ever do I see anyone wearing cowboy hats anymore. Most ranchers I've seen tend to wear baseball caps.

I know some guys who always wear cowboy hats when they're "cowboying." For myself, since I only have one hat, I don't wear it when I go riding with friends because I don't want to damage it. I too wear a baseball (Justin boots) cap when I'm riding horses. The guys I know who wear them have several and have older "working" cowboy hats.

I blame Hollywood for this! If they'd make more cowboy movies more people would still be wearing cowboy hats. :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
If it looked good on Deng Xiaoping, I would guess most guys can pull it off.

Johnson, Reagan and Bush owned working ranches, so I guess they should have a hat or two. The others may seem like pandering, though.

But there's only one man who could pull off a cowboy hat with a suit like no other:

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Well, you copuld head out for Elko nevada, drive 50 miles in any direction and wait.
Eventually you will see bucakroos( cowboy refers to texans)
pushingt beef under a big old Montana hi top with a waterfall and curled brim.
Wait a few more days, and this other guy passes by with sheep. He might be wearing a Beret. Thats a Basko sheepherder.
Wait a few hours for nightfall and this car piulls up with people wearing tin hats and a bumper sticker from the A-Le Inn outside of Area 51. Those are transplanted New Yorkers from California on their way from Sedona Arizona, revealed by their new brown tshirts made from the clay.
Real cowboys, aka Bucaroos or punchers can be identified real quick: They don't wear that gawdawfull AQHA pansey crease.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts

I used to live in Houston (1999-2002) and saw cowboy hats everywhere, even on teenagers! Regional thing. Very common in most of the southwest.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Cowboy hats here in Texas are still worn, though not as popular as they once were. The ubiquitous straw cowboy hat is very popular among blue collar workers who spend much time in the sun and Latinos who remove their "beaters" used during the workday for a nicer one on Friday and Saturday nights.

The nicer beaver or beaver blend Stetsons in 20X and above are still worn by some "over 40" lawyers on a daily basis in the city, though even that is becoming less. In winter months, you will see them worn by "young bucks" dressed in their "finery" outside the big cities as they go to the local dances.

My "cowboy hat" doesn't even resemble the classic cattleman's crease. It has a forward pinch with a teardrop block and cut to a 3" brim. That's the best I will do for the "cowboy" look..... but it is accepted by those attending the dance in Dripping Springs, Kosse, or McCook for instance........

·
Registered
811 Posts
Mine's a Gus crease. Made by Shorty's Caboy Hattery in OK City. Wear it mostly doing ground work around the farm in bad weather (15 horses, 35 acres - can't quite bring myself to call it a "ranch"). Having reached a certain age and having had way too many bad wrecks, I usually wear a helmet when I'm breaking horses.
Really don't see many guys wearing them any more - even at sales or The Quarter Horse Congress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in Calgary, AB the home of the Calgary Stampede so for one week in July every Tom, Dick and Harry are in a cowboy hat and dressed as a cowboy/cowgirl.

But there are other times you see cowboy hats, if the rodeo or some big country singer is in town or even some of the ranchers and farmers that are in the city doing business are in their cowboy boots, wranglers and cowboy hat. When I head out to the farm every couple of weeks I'm in a cowboy hat, wranglers and cowboy boots simply because that's what you wear on the farm or ranch in Alberta.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts

Ball caps are certainly the more poplar headgear among people with whom I am involved, in a minor way, in stock raising operations in Eastern Colorado and Wyoming. They are more practical in the large equipment and motorized vehicles that now do much of what horses did formerly. In the summer, almost as much for pleasure as for a need, we sometimes work cattle on horseback. Then, a Stetson is just right. Also, people in business in town, or ranchers going to town to do business, will often wear a Stetson and walking boots.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.