Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seller didn't know, and I haven't received them yet....but could the following potentially be cordovan? While they don't really appear to be cordovan to me (from the lone picture), I thought I would run the pic past far more trained eyes than my own to see if anyone could readily tell. They are purportedly Aldens, but time will tell. Thanks for the help.

mam

https://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/vi...&vsid=1&vgp=0&vimgs=101_1380.JPG,101_1381.JPG

·
Registered
472 Posts
LeatherSoul is right, those are calf.

I have a similar pair of burgundy calf Aldens. Here's a pic from the tassel loafer thread I posted earlier so you can see the difference.

Compare the first shoe on the left (Alden burgundy calf) to the third from left (Alden for BB # 8 shell cordovan). At wear points the calf has fine line type creases, while cordovan has more smooth ripples, and feels much thicker and harder, really like a shell. It's a totally different animal (literally). On a sizing note, the cordovans tend to run bigger, even though marked the same size.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Seller didn't know, and I haven't received them yet....but could the following potentially be cordovan? While they don't really appear to be cordovan to me (from the lone picture), I thought I would run the pic past far more trained eyes than my own to see if anyone could readily tell. They are purportedly Aldens, but time will tell. Thanks for the help.

mam

]
These are definitely cordovan.

But like LeatherSoul said made from calf.

LeatherSoul is right, those are calf.

I have a similar pair of burgundy calf Aldens. Here's a pic from the tassel loafer thread I posted earlier so you can see the difference.

Compare the first shoe on the left (Alden burgundy calf) to the third from left (Alden for BB # 8 shell cordovan). At wear points the calf has fine line type creases, while cordovan has more smooth ripples, and feels much thicker and harder, really like a shell. It's a totally different animal (literally). On a sizing note, the cordovans tend to run bigger, even though marked the same size.
Hey Crackedcrab, where's your GF's hand. The picture would look better if she was pointing out the details.:icon_smile_big:

Yes I know, you were wondering if someone was going to make a wise crack because of this pic.

·
Registered
472 Posts
^^ Crown she's busy with more advanced means of supporting my clothing habits, such as sewing pocket squares for me. Just kidding, she's away on business this week...but she did actually make me a very serviceable navy square over the weekend. :icon_smile_big:...despite the support, she still thinks all my shoes look more or less the same...

·
Registered
998 Posts
For the last time, CALF!
HA Haaa! You gotta love it.

Ask Andy is like an uncontrolled intersection.
It's obvious when there's a time to slow down or even stop, but most just keep on going anyway.
Why stop when no stop signs are posted?

Pretty sure it's cordovan colored calf.
Or burgundy colored calf.
Or merlot colored calf
Not shell cordovan.
Not sure if this is the last time someone will post being that the OP hasn't stated his thoughts yet .:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HA Haaa! You gotta love it.

Ask Andy is like an uncontrolled intersection.
It's obvious when there's a time to slow down or even stop, but most just keep on going anyway.
Why stop when no stop signs are posted?

Pretty sure it's cordovan colored calf.
Or burgundy colored calf.
Or merlot colored calf
Not shell cordovan.
Not sure if this is the last time someone will post being that the OP hasn't stated his thoughts yet .:icon_smile_big:
Deepest apologies Crownship.

Thanks for all the advice gents --- you ALL confirmed my suspicions: must be calf. Oh well, it was worth a pipe dream.

That said, any thoughts on what you all would pay for these? (I think that they are my exact Alden size even down to the heel/toe width)

mam

·
Registered
998 Posts
^^ Crown she's busy with more advanced means of supporting my clothing habits, such as sewing pocket squares for me. Just kidding, she's away on business this week...but she did actually make me a very serviceable navy square over the weekend. :icon_smile_big:...despite the support, she still thinks all my shoes look more or less the same...
You should be careful with the information you post here.
A GF that supports your shoe habit and makes pocket squares? Hmm. I think there are several bachelors here that would like steal away your "good furtune" as eagle put it.

It's good to see we all agree the shoes the OP posted are calf AND cordovan.:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Deepest apologies Crownship.

Thanks for all the advice gents --- you ALL confirmed my suspicions: must be calf. Oh well, it was worth a pipe dream.

That said, any thoughts on what you all would pay for these? (I think that they are my exact Alden size even down to the heel/toe width)

mam
They look quite worn. I would take the retail price, discout it by 30% and then take half of that. probably no more than $75.
It's all fun here no apologies needed. I agree I wouldn't pay more than $75. The shoes have already been reheeled by a cobbler other than Alden and have possibly been resoled.
You can find new Allen Edmonds tassle loafers for $100-$130 on ebay or other sources which are also high quality.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What about $40? Would they be worth it for that?

I'm young and never owned a nice pair of shoes (e.g. Alden, AE, etc...) and wanted to upgrade my current Bostonian Burgs to some tassels.

What about these Bostonian Tassels: .

Should I consider a used pair, such as these Aldens, buy a pair such as these tassel Bostonians, or just wait until I'm out of law school in may and buy some new AE's or the like? [needless to say, my budget is pretty bare bones]

·
Registered
998 Posts
What about $40? Would they be worth it for that?

I'm young and never owned a nice pair of shoes (e.g. Alden, AE, etc...) and wanted to upgrade my current Bostonian Burgs to some tassels.

What about these Bostonian Tassels: .

Should I consider a used pair, such as these Aldens, buy a pair such as these tassel Bostonians, or just wait until I'm out of law school in may and buy some new AE's or the like? [needless to say, my budget is pretty bare bones]
$40 is a decent price. That's around the price I'd pay for those. The only issue I have with shoes used to that degree is how much the insoles have been imprinted by the previous owner.
If the insoles are heavily imprinted the shoes will not fit or feel right and will hurt your feet.
You could spend $40 and another $50-$100 to have them refurbished but then you've already spent the money to buy a new pair of Allen Edmonds at discount.
Bostonian is a middle of the road shoe. Again you can find AEs discounted which are many times better in quality.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.