Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
513 Posts
sports coat pretender

If you are indeed still in Miami, you can pull it off and still be better dressed than most men since few if any rules apply here. However, the color, fabric and buttons are clearly those of a suit. So why not do the old "combination" routine. Wear this jacket and the trousers from another suit -- not the odd trousers you'd wear with a sports jacket. That shows you're not pretending to pass a suit jacket for a sports one, but that you have a certain individualistic panache. A good dress shirt, preferably with some pattern, an elegant tie and a silk pocket square would raise you from pretender to stylish.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
I wouldn't. There's a reason you don't see many solid charcoal sports jackets, and I think there's a reason that those you do see are from less than reputable sources.

In short, don't try to "make it work." It won't work. Wait until you find something that will work and buy that. You won't be disappointed. Just because you find something 'trad' in your size doesn't mean you have to buy it.

Also, I'd advise against following any of efdll's advice above. I don't think he's on board.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice fellas, glad to have my instinct reaffirmed: definitely pass on this one.

Patrick: I'm either a 40L or 41L (sometimes a 42R). Trouble for me is finding arms long enough without having shoulders too broad (about 19" shoulders and 25" sleeves)

· Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm with the majority here...its a suit coat. As for wearing it with other suit pants that are close, I have to say thats an idea which really strikes me as wrong. Odd jackets and pants should have some contrast. If they don't you end up looking as though you got dressed in the dark and selected the wrong trousers. Perhaps the other posters meant you select other suit pants which are so close you appear to be wearing a suit. In my experience you will never find a pair that is that close in color, weave, weight to be convincing in the light of day.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
What does one do with orphaned jackets? I generally wear mine with trousers that are a similar shade to the jacket.
That sounds like a terrible idea to me. A "similar" shade of trousers will not fool many people into thinking that you're wearing a suit, but it may very well cause them to pity you for apparently thinking you are. It just won't look right.

My advice would be to (a) not buy an orphaned suit jacket, (b) if you already have one, and want to keep it, find a trouser maker with access to the exact cloth your jacket is made from, or (c) donate it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.