Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Hard to believe that it is already February!

I've worn a light cotton jacket for many years now (since 2006). It is well loved but I think it is time for a new one. The thing is, I've been having trouble finding a jacket that is similar.

Here are the specs I'd like in order of importance:

-100% cotton
-No lining whatsoever (no partial lining, 1/4 lining, or lining in sleeves)
-no elastic (adjustable buttons/latches are OK)
-no outside chest pockets (I already have a barn jacket)
-has a button throat latch

There are lots of quality cotton jackets but most of the ones I am finding have lining or are some sort of cotton/poly blend.

To give you an idea, here are some pictures of the jacket I am trying to replace (a Ralph Lauren polo jacket RN# 41381 H05). I lifted these pictures from a seller on Ebay (it is no longer on sale otherwise I would just get it!)

Outerwear Sleeve Coat Collar Grey
Coat Sleeve Collar Rectangle Brick
Sleeve Grey Tints and shades Pattern Sportswear
Outerwear Sleeve Collar Grey Button
Sleeve Collar Button Pattern Fashion accessory

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great rest of the week!

-Chris

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't that black denim?
The zipper detail looks dreadful.
Ha! Know it's a really dark navy blue. I like the zipper! Gives it character.
Wait a month or so and see what Ralph has for the Spring.
That is a good idea - was hoping to find something on sale off season.
Why the dislike of lining? Otherwise I would say a G9.
BSR
I am very warm blooded and most lining (outside of winter jackets) can make me pretty sweaty and gross.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
A jacket like that is not hard to make. But, sometimes the cloth and trimmings cost more than a finished garment from the store. It can be nice to make changes before cutting and sewing, if you like some different ideas. Plus, you have the opportunity to fit the garment. It can be a nice hobby. It is not easy to learn. But it is not hard, either. Beginners are developing skills, which adds time. Pulling out seams that some how didn't go right (developing skills) and resewing, until correct. The more you learn the more options with what you get to wear.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A jacket like that is not hard to make. But, sometimes the cloth and trimmings cost more than a finished garment from the store. It can be nice to make changes before cutting and sewing, if you like some different ideas. Plus, you have the opportunity to fit the garment. It can be a nice hobby. It is not easy to learn. But it is not hard, either. Beginners are developing skills, which adds time. Pulling out seams that some how didn't go right (developing skills) and resewing, until correct. The more you learn the more options with what you get to wear.
That is a interesting idea!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My G9 has two thin layers of cotton cloth in the body and acetate lining in the sleeve. Looks like it wouldn't be hard to have the lining taken out. It might be simpler than having one made.
That is a great idea! I've added an ebay alert for a G9.
These Columbia jackets have chest pockets but IMO they are subtle.

I just got the second one and it is well worth the $22!
Thanks! Oh man, the first one is 100% cotton but they only have size S.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
A classic Dickies work jacket (or Eisenhower jacket as the call it) is my go-to for an unlined, sturdy jacket, but it's a cotton/poly blend (as are all "working" jackets used by mechanics and the like; 65/35 poly/cotton is the standard).

If it weren't for the lining, I would absolutely say a Baracuta (or similar G9 style). I still have mine from high school! 33 years and still going strong.

https://www.dickies.com/outerwear/u...#prefn1=style-mechanic&prefv1=Jackets&start=2

DH

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A classic Dickies work jacket (or Eisenhower jacket as the call it) is my go-to for an unlined, sturdy jacket, but it's a cotton/poly blend (as are all "working" jackets used by mechanics and the like; 65/35 poly/cotton is the standard).

If it weren't for the lining, I would absolutely say a Baracuta (or similar G9 style). I still have mine from high school! 33 years and still going strong.

https://www.dickies.com/outerwear/u...#prefn1=style-mechanic&prefv1=Jackets&start=2

DH
I have bid on a G9 jacket on ebay. They are pricey!

The Dickies jacket looks pretty good, but they are out of my size :(

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gents,

An update.

I've finally found one that might work. It is 100% cotton and unlined:

Everlane Modern Harrington Jacket

The company (Everlane) has an interesting business model as well.

Also somehow this is the only 100% cotton, unlined jacket that I can find. If I end up pulling the trigger I'll post an update with pictures.

Goodnight all!

-Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.