Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen:

Please join a conversation addressing an issue first brought to my mind by FNB in Mantons Saville Row thread; and again by Mano in his recent Hickie Freeman thread, that is: the effect of our "costume" on others perception of us; and the real need to apply at all times - as both an element of etiquette and of self preservation - an outfit appropriate to the situation and to our nature.

"He is one of us, or at least similar enough to be tolerated" might be a reasonable goal when dressing for a business situation - another business situation may require good old fashioned Alpha Male domination. One might also assert that while a subtle bespoke outfit would be appropriate in some situations such as a fortune 500 board room, it may not be as effective when asking your father-in-law for help with the childrens school fees; or for asking an employee to accept a delay in an expected compensation increase.

The thing I like most about Amer. Trad. is how revenue nutural that form of dressing is. American Trad also clearly conveys, at least for me, a set of values; which at first blush would appear different than those expressed by Armani, Brioni, Kiton or Bespoke.

I am not advocating one form or another, in fact I use elements of both international, as expressed by Saville Row or its practitioners, and American Traditional. There is however a significant, at least subconcious, difference in the way one is percieved, depending on which one of these modes of dress you happen to be wearing.

I believe it would be instructive to open a discussion related to what our clothing says to others about us or; what we think of an individual because of the way he is dressed. That which would be accepted by one group may in fact be a barrior to entry in another. Part of being well dressed is an awareness of this fact.

Your input is, as always, appreciated. Examples from your life experiences would be instructive.

Sincerely,

Joe

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.