Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a softball for someone:

I understand that the cost to tailor a jacket varies wildly given the specifics of each jacket...but what is a ballpark number that I could expect to have a Southwick blazer taken in on the sides (3/2 sack)?

Again, from what I have read, I understand it can vary drastically, I am just looking for a general idea.

Most obliged,

M.A.M.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Strangely, my last three alterations were:

Pants Hem: $5 , while I waited.
Jacket Sleeves Lengthened: $48(!), and it took a month
Jacket taken in at the sides: $21, and turned around in a few days.

Each of these alterations were at different shops.

On the jacket sleeves, I decided to try one of the most well regarded places in town. They did a very good job, and had to add lining, but I just can not fade that price point. The other two alterations were well done also.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Our tailors take outside alterations home to work on them. They charge $25 to take in the side seams, and $35 to do what we call a front panel shift, taking the fabric out of the front half of the seams rather than the back (helpful if the coat fits fine in the back but is full in the chest).

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Can you give more information on the"front panel shift"? I have never heard of it before. My understanding is that you can take material in from either side of the side seam, depending on whether there is excess in the front or back of the coat. Your post seems to confirm this. Why the difference in price between taking in back versus the front? Its still the side seam they are working with.

·
Registered
680 Posts
As I'm not a tailor I don't the exact answer to that, but I do know that it is more difficult and time consuming. Our store offers complimentary alterations and our tailors encourage us to be certain that the customer needs a panel shift before we reccomend it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Okay. Thanks for info. Maybe a tailor will tell us why taking in the front through the side seam is more difficult than doing the back. Of course with the back you also have the center back seam to work with. Also I wonder if anyone else has ever heard this alteration referred to as a "panel shift". When more complicated terms are used I suspect higher prices as a motive. I'm cynical I guess. I have two books on mens alterations and "panel shift" is not in either one.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Has anyone noticed a price difference for taking in single vent vs. double vent jackets? My tailor seems to charge $20 more for dual vents. I'm assuming more work is involved, but don't know enough about jacket construction to understand how and where.

To the OP's question: I paying $40 to have sleeves shortened and sides taken in on a single vent jacket and $60 w/dual vents. I'm not sure as to the precise breakdown of how much is for the alterations to the sleeves vs. sides, but think the sleeve work accounts for ~$20 of the price.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks Windsor. I'll gladly pay $20 for the vents to hang right!

I checked another local tailor's price list and came up with $22 for letting sides out and $20 for sleeve length adjustments so my guess on the breakdown with my tailor seems accurate. FWIW, both of these are in nicer parts of town and usually work with stuff from BB, local high end men's shops and better department stores. In other words, their work (and pricing) is somewhere between the seamstress at a dry cleaner and a full bespoke tailor.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Has anyone noticed a price difference for taking in single vent vs. double vent jackets? My tailor seems to charge $20 more for dual vents. I'm assuming more work is involved, but don't know enough about jacket construction to understand how and where.

To the OP's question: I paying $40 to have sleeves shortened and sides taken in on a single vent jacket and $60 w/dual vents. I'm not sure as to the precise breakdown of how much is for the alterations to the sleeves vs. sides, but think the sleeve work accounts for ~$20 of the price.
Dual vented suits are more difficult because you can't simply start at the arm hole and taper the alteration through to the bottom hem. The alteration has to terminate at the top of the vent in such a way that the vent hangs straight and the two angles meet properly.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gents,

Thanks for all the advice, your comments have given me somewhat of a metric now.

Just throwing this out there too --- would anyone happen to know of a tailor in the Lexington, KY / Cincinnati, OH area who does satisfactory work that won't break the bank? (the guy I have in Lexington is superb, but somewhat pricey and I will have quite a few items to have tailored over the course of the summer)

Thanks again,

M.A.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.