Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I enjoy wearing suits, but my new job is corporate casual and while I know it is not forbidden to wear a suit, I know for a fact that I would gain the ire of more senior colleagues (as for whatever reason they prefer corporate casual and, apparently, fought hard to get it in our office). Is it possible to dress down a suit (i.e., wear a shirt and sweater underneath the jacket sans tie), remain corporate casual, AND not break any sartorial rules not worth breaking? In other words, is dressing down a suit a fashion faux pas, such that it would be better to wear dress slacks and a blazer than attempting the uncouth? Thanks for the suggestions. :p

· Registered
913 Posts
I would recommend sport coats and trousers ..there are some great options that will give you a lot of flexibility and will be more exciting than a standard blazer...also, you can still wear nice shirts and ties if you enjoy doing so and will be 100% appropriately dressed.

· Registered
78 Posts
You wouldn't really be breaking any rules per se, although some people think a suit without a tie is a mortal sin. The bigger issue is whether you are violating the office standards, particularly if you are relatively low in the pecking order. If you are dressing much better than your boss (and your boss's boss), chances are your coworkers are going to tease you, make jokes about you when you aren't around, and generally think less of you. After all, your colleagues "fought hard" to get corporate casual, and they won't appreciate a young upstart appearing like he's trying to get the policy reversed.

My experience is that people dress more casually if they are allowed to; no one is ordered to stop wearing suits and ties. I've seen a few people at my office spiff it up a bit by wearing a tie, but they eventually drop the habit. In your case, do you really want to gain the ire of more senior colleagues? I suggest you figure out who the most respected people in the office are and take your cue from them. The people at my office who I have the most professional respect for tend to meet the minimum dress code and don't break out the fancy clothes unless there's a good reason (meeting a client, presentation, etc.).

I still wear my suits, sports coats, ties, etc., just not to the office. When I'm off duty, I wear whatever I damn well please and don't have to worry about my outfit negatively impacting my career.

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Is it possible to dress down a suit (i.e., wear a shirt and sweater underneath the jacket sans tie), remain corporate casual, AND not break any sartorial rules not worth breaking?
I worked in a casual office for years (and I mean casual, jeans even) and I often wore a suit and tie without anyone really giving a rat's behind one way or the other, but I guess all offices differ.

But having said that, I agree with the suggestion that you wear sport coats and blazers in a casual manner without a tie at work. This is what I do now. Don't get me wrong, I like the casual look of a trim cut suit with an open collared shirt; however, I think this looks best in a social setting such as a party, dinner, night club, etc., rather than at the office, even a corporate casual office.

Cruiser

· Registered
2,219 Posts
You wont look like Georgr Clooney by wearing a suit sans tie ...

most don't. Subscribe to the office standards, but up the quality of your dress. Wear sea island cotton trousers, some high-end slip-on shoes, cashmere turtlenecks, Loro Piana blazer etc. If you like to dress well, you can bring a whole new standard to offic casual. You don't have to wear the obligatory obcd and chinos.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions/input. I will think about everything that was said. :icon_smile:

geek: the interesting thing is that the most senior partners dress nicely (read "boring"), not usually suits, but they generally look better than the associates. By nice I mean a nicely pressed button down shirt with khakis or dress slacks, but nothing really impressive. I think I will limit suits to court days and opt for dress slacks and blazers. I just need to do it in such a way that I maintain my own standards/style without stepping on anyone's toes.

dfloyd: I think that is an excellent idea - kick it up a notch for everybody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.