Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
679 Posts
Love corduroy trousers, not so much the jackets and blazers. Love saying "Cord-du-roy." :icon_smile:

Kind Regards,

Chase

· Registered
1,240 Posts
A lot depends on the number of wales per inch. I like narrow wale corduroy. I have all of my trousers cuffed (I don't own a Tux nor wear jeans) at 1.5 inches, but I have one pair of wide wale cords that I wear with a tweed jacket that I think I am going to de-cuff.

For folks who do like corduroy and are thinking of a narrow wale sport coat, I suggest a cord suit instead as it can be worn either as a suit or a sport coat with odd trousers.

Cheers, Jim.

· Registered
2,304 Posts
Like you I had a major dislike of corduroy, that is, until recently. It brought back horrid memories of childhood in the 70's. However, I now like cords as knock around winter trousers, and have a moss-green corduroy jacket that is great for relaxed meals out. However, I like thin, narrow wales and dislike big, chunky numbers.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
I love my cords...have a few odd trousers and a brown cord sport coat...that I'm wearing in the chill that is today!

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I like corduroy, presently having several pair of trousers (dk green, wine, rust, and tan)and in the search for the perfect corduroy jacket, in a darker shade of green. At this point I can say with some authority, there are a lot of ho-hum corduroy jackets out there or the nice ones are not available in my preferred color!

· Registered
284 Posts
I'm sure some members (if not most) who read this will be quite pensive in their replies,but does anyone else here dislike corduroy?I just don't like how it looks.I remember hating it even when I was little.
I don't like the wide wale stuff myself. Reminds me of corrugated cardboard.

Narrow wale cord is a favourite though, it also makes for a very warm jacket.
I prefer cord trousers to be a tad narrower, to avoid that 'swish, swish, swish' noise when walking.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
I love corduroy. It's the seersucker of fall and winter. So far this season I have purchased 2 pairs of Bill's Khakis 5 pocket cords, one pair of honey brown cord dress trousers, one pair of red corduroys and a dark olive corduroy sportcoat.

· Registered
816 Posts
I'm sure some members (if not most) who read this will be quite pensive in their replies,but does anyone else here dislike corduroy?I just don't like how it looks.I remember hating it even when I was little.
You're allowed to dislike something that most forum members might like :icon_smile:.

That being said, i am not crazy about corduroy either. I have one pair of corduroy pants in a dark brown color that I do wear on occasion. I think I only wear them because they fit so well.

· Registered
4,101 Posts
I love cord. It's enjoyed quite the renaissance among younger hipsters lately. I don't think it has the "old man" stigma it once did.

The secret to cord, like most things, is in the cut and style, along with how they're paired with other items. Baggy, triple-pleat cord trous look old man, while nicely slim flat-fronts won't.

· Registered
356 Posts
I do not wear a lot of corduroy, however I do have one black corduroy blazer with brown leather buttons (I know, it seems like a contradiction) that I find actually goes great with a nice sweater in the fall. It's also very trim and small waled (it's Dolce and Gabbana, so trim throughout) which helps me to feel the jacket doesn't age me.

Corduroy is often done poorly, but when done right it can really make for a great piece of clothes

· Registered
29 Posts
As a University professor, it's the nearest thing we have to a uniform!

I've been into cord - and specifically cord jackets - since watching Carl Sagan on Cosmos aged 10 and deciding I wanted to be him when I grew up. That said, I have broadened my palette; Crombie have made some very nice items, and I've acquired a black 70s-style peacoat (sadly stolen) and covert coat in cord since then. I have been known to wear a cord suit when circumstances (and weight) permit, a look which US GQ has called "very Wes Anderson", which I will take as a compliment.

· Registered
214 Posts
Fish, aka Abe Vigoda, the saturnine detective on "Barney Miller" once observed that he always hated wearing corduroy trousers on rainy fall days because all it ever did was turn on his wife, Bernice.

Since I first heard that joke in college in the mid '80s, I have always loved corduroy... and the women who love them, too.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
I kinda want a corduroy sportcoat but all the idiots wearing them around campus with tshirts and jeans and sneakers makes me hate the look.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.