Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The topic of coordinating shoes, clothes, and occasions has received attention in many sources, including Andy's Encyclopedia....(which provides excellent basic advice) and threads in this forum--examples being the recent threads, authored by JLibourel on "Cap toes vs. plain toe oxfords", and (very recently) by Harrydog on "Proper shoe color." I have found these pieces very helpful, but find myself wondering about other situations than those covered. I'm wondering whether forum members would be interested in providing a more comprehensive and detailed synthesis on the subject--basically a summary of what shoes go with what clothing outfits on what occasions. The task might be easiest, I think, if we were to start with the clothing (omitting the shoes), then adding the shoes, specifying the occasion, and ideally ending up with what not to wear. An example would be:

- Single-breasted suit - balmorals (preferably black) - business meetings - no slip-ons.

- Single-breasted suit - balmorals, bluchers, monks (colors perhaps suggested) - more formal non-business activities (weddings, funerals, christenings, etc.) - no slip-ons

perhaps all the way down to:

- Jeans/sport shirt - bluchers, slip-ons, monks - just hanging out - no balmorals.

Maybe it would be better if we started with the occasion. I'm not sure what the optimal structure would be. The more experienced and knowledgeable forum members could probably do this in their sleep, but for the younger, or at least less sartorially-sophisticated of us, such a compendium would be very helpful, regardless of how it were structured. It would also be interesting to see whether there was strong agreement on these combinations. I apologize for this overlong opening post. It's possible that this is too ambitious or nebulous a project for what is basically a fun forum, but I thought I'd give it a try.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.