Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spring is almost upon us. I've recently lost a bunch of weight, with more in the works, and need an interim sized wardrobe, as a lot of my current stuff is now just too big for me. Since I won't be in this stuff for particularly long, I'm not going full out on cost, and am only buying a limited number of things.

So, for a spring sport coat, worn with chinos, a pinpoint ocbd, and chukkas or loafers, I love this from JCrew:

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_catego...et-in-cottonlinen/F0127?color_name=deep-water

I like the unconstructed look, the cotton/linen blend for the season, and the color. Lapels are a bit small, and length is a bit short, but for chinos, I think it works. Plus, I would be buying a size 42R and am only 5'10", so the length might actually be spot on for me.

So, what's wrong with this? Yeah it says suit jacket but that isn't a typical suit looking material (plus I can always swap buttons). Or should I shut up and buy it? :D

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Were the the decision to be made mine to make, I would go ahead and buy it. The cost is pretty modest and the jacket looks to be pretty versatile. The garment has yet to prove it's durabliity, but it should sufficiently so to serve you well on your journey to the next size down! Congratulations on your weight loss.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Congratulations on the weight loss. It's not easy - good for you.

I own a version of that jacket that J.Crew put out two seasons ago. The plus is that it is decently made and outstanding value at that price. It feels nice and certainly doesn't look cheap.

I bought mine on sale for about $100 and spent about that in alterations to make it truly fit (which included sleeves, taking in both the waist and hips and lowering the collar - I went to a tailor, not a "guy" in a dry-cleaning place, so that made it cost more, too).

The only negative is not really J.Crew's fault but just a fact of the material and lack of lining (either between the material or inside) - the jacket wrinkles reasonably easy. It still looks okay as it's got that "rich" linen wrinkle look, but after enough wears, it does have to get pressed (which is pretty common with all linen). I use a hand steamer at home which allows me to stretch the number of wears between dry cleaning.

One alternative you might want to consider is this from BB Red Fleece:

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Heat...var_RM00062_Color=NAVY&contentpos=1&cgid=1800

It looks similar but appears to have a bit more "structure" overall and is cotton not cotton-linen, thus, it might hold its shape better / wrinkle less. I'm thinking of picking one up if I can catch an early season BB sale.

Good look and congrats again on a hard job well done.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congratulations on the weight loss. It's not easy - good for you.

I own a version of that jacket that J.Crew put out two seasons ago. The plus is that it is decently made and outstanding value at that price. It feels nice and certainly doesn't look cheap.

I bought mine on sale for about $100 and spent about that in alterations to make it truly fit (which included sleeves, taking in both the waist and hips and lowering the collar - I went to a tailor, not a "guy" in a dry-cleaning place, so that made it cost more, too).

The only negative is not really J.Crew's fault but just a fact of the material and lack of lining (either between the material or inside) - the jacket wrinkles reasonably easy. It still looks okay as it's got that "rich" linen wrinkle look, but after enough wears, it does have to get pressed (which is pretty common with all linen). I use a hand steamer at home which allows me to stretch the number of wears between dry cleaning.

One alternative you might want to consider is this from BB Red Fleece:

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Heat...var_RM00062_Color=NAVY&contentpos=1&cgid=1800

It looks similar but appears to have a bit more "structure" overall and is cotton not cotton-linen, thus, it might hold its shape better / wrinkle less. I'm thinking of picking one up if I can catch an early season BB sale.

Good look and congrats again on a hard job well done.
Link isn't working for me, but I assume it's the heathered stretch cotton twill red fleece sport coat? You're right; that's pretty close. Interesting. I obviously like the price of the BB piece less for an interim piece, although it does have a bit wider lapels.

I've had a cotton / linen blend sport coat before, know what I'm getting into there. Not a big deal. Dry cleaner is on the way to work, and like you, I have a decent steamer at home. The biggest wrinkle area was always the sleeves. Never had much problem keeping the front and back looking fine with the steamer, but the sleeves, I could only do so much. That's also usually my issue with wool too if the sleeves get creased up.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
Link isn't working for me, but I assume it's the heathered stretch cotton twill red fleece sport coat? You're right; that's pretty close. Interesting. I obviously like the price of the BB piece less for an interim piece, although it does have a bit wider lapels.

I've had a cotton / linen blend sport coat before, know what I'm getting into there. Not a big deal. Dry cleaner is on the way to work, and like you, I have a decent steamer at home. The biggest wrinkle area was always the sleeves. Never had much problem keeping the front and back looking fine with the steamer, but the sleeves, I could only do so much. That's also usually my issue with wool too if the sleeves get creased up.
Agreed. I usually can keep it pretty fresh and "pressed" with the steamer, but the arms - especially around the bend in the elbow - are challenging. Also, over time, while the steaming takes the wrinkles out tactically, the jacket eventually just need a good overall pressing.

And, yes, the jacket I referenced at BB is the Red Fleece one you note. Sorry the link doesn't work - just tried it on my girlfriend's computer and it worked, so maybe the site was down for a bit.

Good luck - let us know (and, better, show us) what you choose.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everyone needs to own at least one jacket that is too short or too long to understand why it doesn't look as good as one that is the right length. This is going to be too short.
You think so, even in a 42R at 5'10?

My thoughts are three fold:

1. If it's too short, as long as it isn't way too short, it would look fine with chinos, which was my intended purpose of it anyway. the crotch on my chinos is higher than on my dress trousers, which probably reduces the required cost length by an inch. Moreover, eh, I kind of think the casual nature of the coat would negate a minor length issue anyway, when worn with casual pants.

2. I can always return it. I won't keep something that looks bad on me.

3. I should strongly consider spending a few bucks more and getting this instead:

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
The jacket measures in length (there are short, regular and long versions at numeric sizes - which is a very good and, sadly, becoming a rare thing) close to traditional lengths. Mine, for example, is a 40L, which is 32" long - no more than 1/2" shorter than my classic Brooks' sport coats.

I think they purposely have the models wear sizes that are too small on them as, as noted above, that seems to be the current fashion. But to emphasize, the actual sizes seem more traditional in body and sleeve length and even in overall fit.

To be sure, if you are, in general, a big guy, the jacket's lapels and general cut might be too small in scale for you, but if you are regular to thin, I think it fits fine in a 1960s thin-Ivy way.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The jacket measures in length (there are short, regular and long versions at numeric sizes - which is a very good and, sadly, becoming a rare thing) close to traditional lengths. Mine, for example, is a 40L, which is 32" long - no more than 1/2" shorter than my classic Brooks' sport coats.

I think they purposely have the models wear sizes that are too small on them as, as noted above, that seems to be the current fashion. But to emphasize, the actual sizes seem more traditional in body and sleeve length and even in overall fit.

To be sure, if you are, in general, a big guy, the jacket's lapels and general cut might be too small in scale for you, but if you are regular to thin, I think it fits fine in a 1960s thin-Ivy way.
I'm a pretty average build now. Not a v-shape, but no beer gut or gut bulge in any direction.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
I'm a pretty average build now. Not a v-shape, but no beer gut or gut bulge in any direction.
My guess, your regular size will work for you as mine worked for me. That said, if you call J.Crew, they will give you detailed measurements (or usually can). Additionally, if you call during the week, they'll have a "product export" (or some title like that) pull one off the shelf and measure pretty much anything you want from it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My guess, your regular size will work for you as mine worked for me. That said, if you call J.Crew, they will give you detailed measurements (or usually can). Additionally, if you call during the week, they'll have a "product export" (or some title like that) pull one off the shelf and measure pretty much anything you want from it.
I do pass by a mall on the way to work. Maybe I should pop in and try one on. What a pain. I much prefer online shopping.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
I do pass by a mall on the way to work. Maybe I should pop in and try one on. What a pain. I much prefer online shopping.
So do I, but when size is an issue, the store can be the ticket. That said, a third or so of the time, they don't have my size in anyways - so I make the trip for nothing. That's why I usually get extra measurements from the site, make my best guess, order the size I think is right and exchange if necessary.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Spring is almost upon us. I've recently lost a bunch of weight, with more in the works, and need an interim sized wardrobe, as a lot of my current stuff is now just too big for me. Since I won't be in this stuff for particularly long, I'm not going full out on cost, and am only buying a limited number of things.

So, for a spring sport coat, worn with chinos, a pinpoint ocbd, and chukkas or loafers, I love this from JCrew:

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_catego...et-in-cottonlinen/F0127?color_name=deep-water

I like the unconstructed look, the cotton/linen blend for the season, and the color. Lapels are a bit small, and length is a bit short, but for chinos, I think it works. Plus, I would be buying a size 42R and am only 5'10", so the length might actually be spot on for me.

So, what's wrong with this? Yeah it says suit jacket but that isn't a typical suit looking material (plus I can always swap buttons). Or should I shut up and buy it? :D
No, buy it! It will fit your 12 year old son perfectly! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.