Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I've done it. I understand why because I too much prefer forward pleats over reverse pleats. It won't be the same as trousers originally cut for forward pleats as the extra fabric to make the pleat comes from the front instead of the side. Your trousers need to have some give around the seat or the pleats won't sit well. The conversion worked well on the first pair I did (I did it myself). The waistband needs to be removed in the front and the pleat needs to be set in the right place. I looked at a few of my forward pleated trousers for reference. I'm currently working on another pair, but the trousers are a little tight through the seat and the crotch, so the pleats don't sit well. I put them on a slimmer friend of mine to see what the problem was, and they looked great on him. I'm going to add an extra crotch piece to help using the extra left over from the hem. I firmly believe it is possible to effectively reverse the pleats. From tailors I've asked about the price, it has ranged from about $20-50. It will cost more for double pleats than single pleats. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I'm sorry . . .

. . . but this is the silliest exercise in ridiculous non-essential tailoring there is. I might understand wanting to get rid of pleats altogether, but merely to change their direction seems to me a great waste of time and money. Of course, the tailor you pick to do it will be more than happy to get the work, because he can charge an outrageous fee for such "complicated" work, as someone has previously posted, as removing the waistband.

If you like the designer/manufacturer's work so well, why not just go along with the design decision made to put in reverse pleats? Changing something that doesn't even show if you keep your suit or sport coat on is beyond me. Doing so, according to one poster who tried it, can even change the fit. What's the percentage in that?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
. . . but this is the silliest exercise in ridiculous non-essential tailoring there is. I might understand wanting to get rid of pleats altogether, but merely to change their direction seems to me a great waste of time and money. Of course, the tailor you pick to do it will be more than happy to get the work, because he can charge an outrageous fee for such "complicated" work, as someone has previously posted, as removing the waistband.

If you like the designer/manufacturer's work so well, why not just go along with the design decision made to put in reverse pleats? Changing something that doesn't even show if you keep your suit or sport coat on is beyond me. Doing so, according to one poster who tried it, can even change the fit. What's the percentage in that?
I disagree that turning the pleats around to the correct direction is not a waste. We here are detail conscious and like our clothes to look best. Forward pleats to us look much more attractive than reverse pleats. Finding forward pleats OTR isn't very easy in America outside of Polo Ralph Lauren. They're much more common in England. So altering trousers to have forward pleats is often the easiest way to obtain them. Turning the pleats around will not change the fit, but they won't look good unless the trousers fit well. Reverse pleats don't look as bad when the trousers fit tightly, and that's why they are more commonly sold OTR. But switching reverse pleats to forward pleats is purely aesthetic and won't give you the benefits of trousers originally cut for forward pleats.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Would it not be more economical to simply purchase a new pair of slacks with forward pleats?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.