Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Viyella is the trademarked name for a shirt 80% cotton, 20% wool.

I'm not sure how the trademark is permitted to manufacturer's. Something like the Sea Island trademark I suppose. I wore Viyella shirts way back in the 1950s when the trademark was used by the Hathaway Shirt Company of Maine. They were bought out and quit manufacturing several years ago. I have several Viyella shirts purchased within the last 7 to 10 years. Some are solid colors and some a tartan plaid. I have seen others in different plaid designs.

Someone posted a few days ago that Viyella was going out of business, which I take to mean a company previously manufacturing Viyella shirts is going out of business. They are still being sold in certain catalogs so they must still being made. Bullock and Jones sells them. Also Maus & Hoffman stil sells them, Contact Tom Maus who is a member here and he can probably help you. Send him a personal message at FlaOutlet.

My first Viyella shirt was a Stewart plaid and it cost $18. The last one I bought was $145. The Tartan plaids are the most expensive.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
"Viyella" as a trade-dress name for men's buttondown sport shirts made out of 80/20 cotton/wool fabric will probably live on, even if the original Viyella company of the UK is in trouble.

The shirts are readily available online from J. Press, O'Connell's, Orvis, and even Lands' End. Just google. Going price seems to be about $110 before shipping.

One of my prized cool-weather sportshirts is a Lands' End Viyella made out of the old 55/45 blend, with smoked MOP buttons; it's well more than a decade old and still going strong.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Viyella the company in the UK is in serious financial trouble. That company manufactures women's clothing and home furnishings. The Viyella we are all familiar with, the one that makes sweaters, shirts, robes etc., is actually made by a company here in the states that bought the rights to the men's line several years ago. The shirts are now made in China, as the two I bought this fall bear that label. Rest assured, the men's line is under a completely different umbrella then the one going bankrupt in the UK.

Having said that, the owner of the store I buy my shirts at isn't fond of the guy who runs the men's business. I said the shirts shrink too much and he responded, "If I tell the owner that, he will literally tell me to go F myself." He elaborated that he wasn't know as a very nice man.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.