Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a mania for traditional high quality tattersall English country shirts of cotton flannel. But emphasize I have no interest in cheapy knockoffs of questionable cloth, and they must be both full cut and affordable. A tall order in any circumstance. So browsing Cordings I find they have a sale offering such for a more affordable $61 and spy one that catches my fancy. Hmm . . . ? :icon_scratch:

Wallet be d*mned, I decide to take a flyer on one, put it my basket, check the shipping and :eek:!!! I do enough business with English retailers to have some feel for what are appropriate shipping costs. $51.71 to ship a shirt!?!?

Not in this lifetime! :mad:

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
That’s why you don’t buy 1 at a time. I purchased 4 shirts, and 6 tweed ties during their Christmas sale. I was awaiting their shipment of my replacement of the tweed suit jacket I had purchased during the Black Friday sale. I had sent the 38S jacket back for a 40S as there was no material to be let out, and they are cut close. That was my fault and learning curve. Cost me $65 for the return and then the aforementioned $51.71 to reship the jacket. An expensive lesson, but one that now allows me to purchase from them with confidence as I am sure of my trouser, vest and jacket size.

As per my request to CS via email, the shirts and ties were sent with the jacket at no extra charge. Had I purchased them separately there still would have been a $51.71 shipping charge, so by combining the orders, I lessened the pain of having to ship a jacket back and forth across the Atlantic. in the end all the reshipping ate up half the sales savings. But I was still ahead by 5% on the suit, and the entire 10% on the shirts and ties.

That is why I purchased 2 flat caps today instead of one as a £15 shipping charge on a £35 cap was outrageous. However that same £15 for 2 caps at £70 was more reasonable.

Different stores use different methods of shipping. Those such as PC and the Harris Tweed shop you directed me to for the caps, use Royal Mail which is only £15 for moderate sized clothing packages, such as a tweed jacket and a few shirts. If you do have to ship back to the UK then USPS is the cheapest way to go for $60 or so. Fed Ex wanted $170, and UPS wanted $195 for returning the jacket to Cordings. Obviously I went with USPS.

BTW 1 of the shirts was the woolen flannel Tattersall, and the other 3 were cotton flannel Tattersall. They are MAGNIFICENT. Very heavy cloth, a manly cut, but not overly blousy like a traditional BB cut. I was actually pleasantly surprised that they were what I would consider a relaxed taper. Very much like a LE traditional fit. I was expecting something much larger considering all their talk about generous cuts.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^Jeez Louise...can anyone else remember when first class postage was just three cents? Or was it four cents? :icon_scratch: It's been so long, I can't be sure, but I also remember paying 26 cents for a gallon of gas! :crazy: It we could but turn back the calendar, all would be well! LOL. ;)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
As someone who has been purchasing from Cordings for many years and only this month I have purchased 2 more pair of trousers. I feel their clothing to be of high quality. Own several of their jackets, many shirts and trousers. the idea is to try to combine several articles in one order especially during their sale, albeit a bit costly, it does lessen the pain when they add the shipping cost. While I do not do much ordering from N&L or E&R these days, some nice stuff, but their prices have gone through the roof even in their sales, however, their shipping cost are much lower than Cordings for basically the same shipping service. Call it a trade off, beautiful Tattersalls, the heaviest of moleskin, cords and cavalry twill with features not always found elsewhere and a nice choice of jackets for heavy shipping cost. Own quite a bit from PC, Tweeds and Donnegal, some trousers etc. nice prices, very reasonable shipping but trousers and shirts can not compare to Cordings quality and features in my opinion. But for one shirt, no not worth it.

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
This may only serve to muddy the waters but Woods of Shropshire have Viyella shirts from just £20! Which is approximately $27 dollars to save you the trouble. Shipping is a flat rate of £12.00 according to their website.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
This may only serve to muddy the waters but Woods of Shropshire have Viyella shirts from just £20! Which is approximately $27 dollars to save you the trouble. Shipping is a flat rate of £12.00 according to their website.
Own Viyella shirts of the cotton wool variety, nice shirts though more expensive than 100% cotton. The starting price you quote are for short sleeve, the long sleeve are $68.94 US +$16.54 shipping= $85.48. Buying 1 shirt, not so bad. When you consider buying 3 or more, Cordings start to come out on top. Even when buying 2, Cordings is less than $4.00 higher.

Cordings, 1 shirt $51.61 US ( sale ) X 4= $206.54 + $51.71 = $258.25 = @ $64.56
Stropshire 1 shirt $68.94 US X 4= $275.76 + $16.54 =$292.30 = @ $73.10

Side by side I'll take Cordings.
Of course not everyone would wish to do a multi buy. Didn't mean to muddy the waters further. Your link to Stropshire would prove helpful to Many.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm always on the lookout for British stores selling online that have reasonable shipping costs to the US. So far I've found Peter Christian, Samuel Windsor, Charles Tyrwhitt, Joseph Turner, Fife Country, and now Woods of Shropshire. Anyone know of any others?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm always on the lookout for British stores selling online that have reasonable shipping costs to the US. So far I've found Peter Christian, Samuel Windsor, Charles Tyrwhitt, Joseph Turner, Fife Country, and now Woods of Shropshire. Anyone know of any others?
Try House of Bruar. They are very nice people, sale now on, some nice stuff. Look into moleskin trousers, not the heaviest but nice. Coats, some nice prices on English type hunting pieces. Check it out.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the feedback!

When I'm in the market for multiple items, I too attempt to spread the shipping cost for the lot across a single purchase, but in this case I'm only in the market for this one item. Crotchety old pensioner, and all. :(

I've done business with a number of the other retailers mentioned, and for this particular type of item would prefer to find another source.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I've a mania for traditional high quality tattersall English country shirts of cotton flannel. But emphasize I have no interest in cheapy knockoffs of questionable cloth, and they must be both full cut and affordable. A tall order in any circumstance
As one crotchety old pensioner to another!!
Where have you purchased them in the past, if you have, that meet your criteria?
I for one would be interested to know as I'm sure others would as well.
I assure you my query is most sincere, always looking for the next best deal.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
^^Jeez Louise...can anyone else remember when first class postage was just three cents? Or was it four cents? :icon_scratch: It's been so long, I can't be sure, but I also remember paying 26 cents for a gallon of gas! :crazy: It we could but turn back the calendar, all would be well! LOL. ;)
But remember that a salary of $125/wk. was good money then.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As one crotchety old pensioner to another!!
Where have you purchased them in the past, if you have, that meet your criteria?
I for one would be interested to know as I'm sure others would as well.
I assure you my query is most sincere, always looking for the next best deal.
I've not purchased such tattersall shirts from any of them, because I'd not found the combination of price, cut/size and expectation of quality in any of those remarked upon to suit me. I'll not single out any particular retailer as some members have their favorites among them and I don't wish to offend anyone regarding what is, after all, just my subjective opinion. But I have purchased other items from some of them, and found them satisfactory for what they are.

My quest was stimulated by a lovely stack of checks in Acorn Fabric's blog -

And the particular Cordings shirt I was going to order was this -

https://www.cordings.co.uk/green-red-pheasant-check-shirt.html

I'm at a point in life where I've got quite a bit of stuff, less money, and my preferences are very specific. So buying more stuff just because it's inexpensive doesn't appeal. I'll pay a price for something I really want, if I feel it's worth it, and it's value to me equals or is greater than what I have to pay to get it.

Flanderian, Look at Farlows UK. Sale on, have a few, not quite Cordings but very nice. Take a look at their shirts and shipping costs. Went back in to my slowly eroding memory bank for this one. Hope this helps.
I will do!

Much thanks!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm at a point in life where I've got quite a bit of stuff, less money, and my preferences are very specific. So buying more stuff just because it's inexpensive doesn't appeal. I'll pay a price for something I really want, if I feel it's worth it, and it's value to me equals or is greater than what I have to pay to get it.
I can certainly relate as I'm in pretty much the same position, actually have way too much stuff. That is a lovely stack of Acorn fabric. Wonder if any Stateside MTM outfits can supply such fabric.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I can certainly relate as I'm in pretty much the same position, actually have way too much stuff. That is a lovely stack of Acorn fabric. Wonder if any Stateside MTM outfits can supply such fabric.
As are you, I find myself in a position similar to member Flanderian's. My wardrobe is filled to capacity, plus some and I only buy and am willing to pay what is asked for those items that I really, really want. Unfortunately those really, really wants seem to come up with surprising frequency! LOL. ;)

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
As are you, I find myself in a position similar to member Flanderian's. My wardrobe is filled to capacity, plus some and I only buy and am willing to pay what is asked for those items that I really, really want. Unfortunately those really, really wants seem to come up with surprising frequency! LOL. ;)
These days I try to control my really want purchases, sometimes I cave but those are becoming rare. My wife tells me our home is my closet. However, recently I do have a need for some new trousers since my waist has expanded a bit much as I try to control my caloric intake. Until I can get back to my former waist size (coupe of inches ) I need a few new trousers to get me by in the meantime and that's as good of an excuse as I can come up with that's legitimate. Fitting into my wardrobe comfortably gives me incentive to lose a bit of weight,I've done it before.

G

·
Just ordered from Cordings. Merchandise arrived fine and is of great quality. Two weeks later I received an invoice for customs duty in the tune of 28% of total cost of my purchase. A very Hefty cost. Has anyone experienced this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.