Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening gentlemen,

This is my first post as a member(found the site yesterday) and after a little forum searching couldn't come up with a few answers to inquiries I have. To start, I am twenty two and now just getting over the adolecent Abercrombie-esque fashion. I was always a fan of taking dress clothes and wearing them casually(button downs untucked and the like), but no more! I would love suggestions on what you all feel are the best budget brands, which I would consider anything under 75(60 seems more reasonable) USD for a nice shirt. Also, as the title mentions I reside in CT and need a fairly priced tailor. A previous thread I stumbled upon yesterday mentioned they could, for about 15 USD, take my already Slim, but not slim enough, shirts and taper them even more. Anyone in CT know of any such place? I live inbetween Hartford and Stamford, neither of them being that close.

Anyway...to sum this up

A. Budget brands for shirts, pants, shoes, etc.
B. Good, but fairly priced tailors in CT

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't seem to see any polls on the website...maybe the powers that be could consider it? Ongoing polls of members favorites fabric, shirt maker, budget shirt maker, the list goes on. Or maybe I'm just the newbie =)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I hate to keep recommending these guys like a drone but you should look at Lands End - you can get a custom oxford shirt for $58 from them. These guys are great for casual clothes and their guarantee is iron clad. For dressier stuff take a walk into Joseph A. Banks during a sale (there is one in Milford on the post road). For decent shoes check out the Hawley Lane shoe store on Bridgeport ave. in Shelton in the Stop and Shop plaza.

As for a tailor thats a bit trickier since my tailor just does alterations I dont know if they can narrow a shirt as you require. You should call a few tailors from the yellow pages and ask before getting in your car.

You might want to also take a road trip to the Clinton Crossing Outlet mall off I-95 in Clinton, they have a ton of good stores with discounted pricing.

If I were you I would also look at Sierra trading Post online once you have identified some brands you like, they have great deals. Ebay is also home to every kind of deal imaginable but it takes some knowledge and skill to shop effectively on Ebay. Search for past posts about buying new clothes off Ebay.

Know our personal measurements inside out before shopping as well.

If you are just getting started I would recommend Andy's invaluable cd-rom on mens style etc. and you might want to buy the Esquire magazines Black. Book online or at Borders so you can PLAN before you get rolling too far. Esquire is a great magazine for someone your age.

P.S. If you are slimmer than slim you might not automatically wont to have your shirts look painted on to accentuate how slim you are, you can use some spare fabric to make you look a bit fuller (also in ten years this "problem" will take care of itself TRUST ME! :icon_smile_big:)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Marcus, He is in Oxford and I am in Milford. He might do well to try and find a tailor in Fairfield that have to be a few there and its not a hike from Oxford. While I am thinking of it MHarner - dont use the dry cleaners in the center of Trumbull - ever, its a butcher shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the great advice...a pleasant surprise to see someone so close to home replying! I noticed a lot of posts containing information on LE and will have to check it out. It's funny you mentioned the Clinton outlets as I was just there this weekend. Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
225 Posts
There is a RL outlet at Woodbury Commons that sells only RLPL and RLBL. They usually have a good amount of shirts in the $100 - $150 range (RLBL is pretty slim, so you may not need much, if any alterations). Check out the Woodbury Commons website, as they often have sales.

Another think to do is check out your local Marshalls. They usually have a fair number of Polo dress shirts for $50. I personally am quite fond of the Regent collar. I take them to European Tailoring in West Hartford to be taken in on the sides at a cost of $25 per shirt.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I'm a little jealous of your slimming shirt prices...i just inquired at my guy, and he said he'd have to look, but assume around $40 a shirt. Eeeeek

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have never paid more than $15 to have a shirt tapered. I live in Chicago so perhaps it is a bit less expensive here, but I would never pay more than $15 per shirt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.