Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
Looking, once more, for the learned input of the forum...

I'm graduating (except we poncily call it commencing) next month with a Ph.D. It's in English, so the gown is a fetching combination of red and primrose. College regulations stipulate that, excepting members of the clergy, or those in the armed services, the gown should be worn with either white tie or black tie ensemble. (Ladies, incidentally, must wear black and white only.)

This presents me with a slight dilemma. In ways I'm inclined towards white tie, as there are so few occasions when one can legitimately wear it. On the other hand, post-ceremony jollifications will involve family members in lounge suits - and maybe less:eek: - and previous experience suggests that even in black tie, one is conspicuous in these circumstances. That's not a deal-breaker, but I am concerned that WT might look, for the want of a better expression, costumey.

The ceremony is at 4pm, but the same regulations obtain for earlier ceremonies.

Interested in your thoughts.
Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd go with white tie. There's so few opportunities to wear it legitimetly any more, who knows when you'd get to wear it again. It may look a bit costumey, but at long as it fits decently and is done properly, it will look good anyway.

If you're worried about it, maybe you should get some friends to rent an outfit or get one cheap on ebay (you can everything for ~$100) so you won't be the only one in white tie.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Greetings all,
Looking, once more, for the learned input of the forum...

I'm graduating (except we poncily call it commencing) next month with a Ph.D. It's in English, so the gown is a fetching combination of red and primrose. College regulations stipulate that, excepting members of the clergy, or those in the armed services, the gown should be worn with either white tie or black tie ensemble. (Ladies, incidentally, must wear black and white only.)

This presents me with a slight dilemma. In ways I'm inclined towards white tie, as there are so few occasions when one can legitimately wear it. On the other hand, post-ceremony jollifications will involve family members in lounge suits - and maybe less:eek: - and previous experience suggests that even in black tie, one is conspicuous in these circumstances. That's not a deal-breaker, but I am concerned that WT might look, for the want of a better expression, costumey.

The ceremony is at 4pm, but the same regulations obtain for earlier ceremonies.

Interested in your thoughts.
Thanks.
Have fun! This is your chance to reward yourself and be the centre of attention, so why not go the whole hog and wear white tie since the dress code allows for it! :aportnoy:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'd go with white tie. There's so few opportunities to wear it legitimetly any more, who knows when you'd get to wear it again. It may look a bit costumey, but at long as it fits decently and is done properly, it will look good anyway.

If you're worried about it, maybe you should get some friends to rent an outfit or get one cheap on ebay (you can everything for ~$100) so you won't be the only one in white tie.
+1 for white tie

Adagio

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
If you've got it, flaunt it!

By all means, wear the white tie for the commencement, since that's the dress code. It's a special occasion not only for you but for your friends and loved ones who put up with, er, supported you through the tribulations of higher learning. They want pomp!

As for the ensuing celebrations, if you are concerned about appearances and "fitting in" as most of us are, and you are sure that most of those attending will be in lounge suits, there is a very practical way to cope: Simply doff the tails and don a tux jacket. You could change out the tie to black as well and ditch the white vest for a black one. All could be done without really disrobing, as the trousers will work and nobody's going to care what shirt you're wearing.

Tails make one feel more formal, but also take some managing. You might not want to be concerned about sitting on them while hoisting libations and having a good time. That being said, and especially if there is no way to have the tux jacket with a black tie in the pocket and a black vest handy, just go with the tails and the whole nine yards. Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yes. :teacha:

Thanks to everyone for the input on this - it has tended to reinforce my own ideas - which is always nice!
A fine institution! I notice that the regs say black tie ( E7, para. 9) but provided that your source is one you have confidence in, I say treat yourself and wear white tie (there is ample precedent for wearing white bow ties with academic dress and I think they look more fitting than black.)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think 'black tie' in the TCD regulations means subfusc; that is a black/dark suit with a white bow tie like in Oxford and Cambridge except that TCD specifies that the bow tie be black and a DJ to be worn. I would follow this or enquire with the Proctors as to whether a white bow tie be allowed ((I don't see any mention on the regs about white tie) and whether they really mean 'White Tie' or DJ with white bow tie etc) as you do not want to get barred from the ceremony for inappropriate dress.

If it were me, I would wear full morning dress with wing collar, white bowtie and bands in full academic dress, especially for doctoral degrees (the bands help frame the neckband of the hood and hide any awkward loop and button pulling up the shirt messiness).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A fine institution! I notice that the regs say black tie ( E7, para. 9) but provided that your source is one you have confidence in, I say treat yourself and wear white tie (there is ample precedent for wearing white bow ties with academic dress and I think they look more fitting than black.)
This is interesting. The regulations issued to graduands call for:
'Dinner jackets of full evening wear (tuxedo), white shirt, white or black bow tie, hood and gown'
No headwear for us :cry:

Further investigation required, I think.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.