Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean obviously nay .. but there I am staring into the window outside Budd's off Piccadilly..and there's a pink one and a blue one..both pleated fronts and they looked GOOD !!! If its in Budd it must be OK ..there's not a naff item in the shop ( except me occasionally) .. please tell me I can get one Pleeese...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I work about 5-10 mins, so when I have time at lunch Ido wonder around the shops and go inside and have a chat about their latest range.

I have looked it a few times and still cannot come to terms with wearing either. Very rarely companies design/make something to show what they do and not sell the item -if this was the case, then bravo. However, it is not; a white dinner jacket is bad enough (a British joke about Americans).

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Ben Silver, which carries mostly British styles, has been showing

pink formal shirts with pleats for sometime for wearing with white dinner jacket. I would have bought one, but they are a bit too pricey for something I would wear one to two times a year. With white dinner jacket, I think they are acceptable. Also, they do not resemble the colored shirts worn in the seventies at all.

·
Site Creator
11,752 Posts
going grey:

Maybe it's those ruffled formal shirts in raspberry from the 70's that I can't get out of my head or:

Here's what I have in The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes, Formal Wear Chapter:
Shirt:

White or Ivory with wing or straight collar and French cuffs, pleated front. You'll use studs that match your cuff links to close the front of the shirt. Wing collars are more appropriate for tailcoats but are acceptable for any formal wear.

The shirt pleats (not ruffles!) will be refined; ¼ to ½ inch pleats will do nicely. Fewer pleats are more sophisticated than many. An alternative is pique or waffle weave fabric on the front of the shirt.
But it is after 6 PM and maybe it'll be dark. Why not!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I mean obviously nay .. but there I am staring into the window outside Budd's off Piccadilly..and there's a pink one and a blue one..both pleated fronts and they looked GOOD !!! If its in Budd it must be OK ..there's not a naff item in the shop ( except me occasionally) .. please tell me I can get one Pleeese...
I am also tempted by the pastels in Budd...I am waiting for my "creative black tie" invitation to justify a purchase...:icon_smile:

W_B

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Says the guy who wears pink socks. :rolleyes: Don't worry, I wear pink socks too!

By all means. And please post a picture of yourself wearing it. I will mock you good-naturedly but mercilessly.
I would also like to chime in about the Ben Silver adverts. Just because someone is doing it, doesn't mean you should. I appreciate everyone here acting as a support group when someone gets weak and attempts to do something dumb like wear a pink/blue shirt with a tuxedo.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Nah!

I'm pretty adventurous and have worn a black pleated shirt and silver tie with velvet DJ, but I can't quite get those baby-blue ruffled '60s shirts out of my mind. Pink oxford button-downs can look good with blazer, khakis, and boat shoes worn sockless on the docks for drinks at sundown in summer, but pink with black tie?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.