Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Looking to purchase a burberry trench coat off of Ebay. Should it be blue or tan?
It should be whatever color you prefer. Tan is classic, but blue would be fine too. (I'm assuming we're talking about something like navy, not powder blue!)

I've got two trenchs, both delightfully purchased at half price. The first is a gray Burberry that favors taupe purchased perhaps 18 years ago, the other in tan from Brooks added maybe 14 years ago. Both very nice, but the Brooks is slightly better in terms of construction and materials. They used to make a very nice trench. Wonder if they still do?

·
Registered
234 Posts
IMHO Burberry's iconic colour is that "tan with a shade of green". I have two ... One with removable lining and one reversible ... Never been one for the blue, but that is me. But bought a windbreaker recently in the same shade, and feel the quality has slipped, mostly in terms of fabric. And may well look elsewhere when I feel the need to renew one of the trenches.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, I am going to go for the tan. Does anybody have any experience purchasing one off of ebay as that is what I hope to do. Otherwise, it is out of my price range. Looking to spend about $200 for one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Having just recently opened my eyes to the possibilities of ebay, It appears to me that it is important to find sellers with good feedback (+99%). And always ask questions that are relevant to your needs. Also check what kind of negative, if any the sellers get.
I would also get a good understanding of how to create good searches, and also do a search on forums for response of the seller in question.

HTH
Speed

·
Registered
598 Posts
You may already know this, but fake Burberry products are quite common in some countries like China, and some of them make their way on to eBay. Just a heads up.
Good advice. If you are looking for Burberry, it's important to look for a highly rated, reputable seller as the prices tend to be high on ebay.

Another alternative, if you aren't tied to Burberry, is Aquascutum. Also, I don't know if they still make them, but I have a very traditional Dunhill trench that I love and would put the quality of that coat up against Burberry any day.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice on Aquascutum. However, I've looked on the internet and can't really find any for sale anywhere. Do you have any advice on where I could locate one? Also, I am not really tied to Burberry at all. I just knew they made a good coat. I am really just looking for a good quality raincoat to wear over my suits next summer in New York and Houston when it is raining.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Looking to purchase a burberry trench coat off of Ebay. Should it be blue or tan?
IIRC, there was a posting in here about the color for trench coats and one of the comment was "Tan would be good because it shows that you can afford dry cleaning as they easily show soil". I prefer Tan not because I can afford dry cleaner.
I'll take a look at the Rack if its closer to you, they have a lot of burberrys ranging from $200-$500.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IIRC, there was a posting in here about the color for trench coats and one of the comment was "Tan would be good because it shows that you can afford dry cleaning as they easily show soil". I prefer Tan not because I can afford dry cleaner.
I'll take a look at the Rack if its closer to you, they have a lot of burberrys ranging from $200-$500.
When you say the Rack are you talking about Nordstrom's Rack?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Burberry Trench coat

I purchased one a couple of years ago in what Burberry termed "Walnut". It is darker than their traditional Tan. I also have one in black, which is great for funerals and formal events. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
In the U.K. at least,

blue trenchcoat = "'ello 'ello 'ello, wot's all this then?"

:icon_smile_big:
Actually we are more 'open' about trench colours in the UK. It seems to become more poular this year because of the influence of tv clothes shoes (namely women).

Aquascutum have three main colours tan, navy and black and for their more contemporary trenches they have more options.

Burberry have a number of options and colours such as dark olive and even a brown leather trench coat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.