Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Vendor
1,739 Posts
In some cases the collar bar is worn as jewelry. In other cases it serves a purpose. Some collar points "fly" and the collar bar is needed to be neat. In the former case it is personal taste. In the latter the alternative to the collar bar or collar pin is wearing a different style collar.

· Registered
7,025 Posts
It's a look that I used to affect, but for now . . .

. . . as a fashion accessory, it needs to "lie fallow" for some number of years.

I used to wear a collar bar quite often in the 80's and 90's, but, with the shift towards spread collars (due, in part, to a shift on my part for the byproducts of UK-based shirtmakers), my use of collar bars ceased, and I think for the moment that the look is tired - not that it won't be revived at some point in time, when one least expects it to be.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
I love 'em!
They are treated with great suspicion in the UK and are regarded as very American. It is hard to find Jermyn St shirts with collars that can take bars. The TM Lewin York collar works well.
The bars are impossible to find so I usually ask friends travelling to NY to pick up a few in J Press.
They are a trifle flash and a bit spivvy and are great with a 3pce sb peak suit.

W_B

· Registered
8,536 Posts
I see them on 80's TV programmes. Pierce Brosnan wore them for the first 2 seasons of Remington Steele and Peter Tomarkin wore them on Press Your Luck. I thought they were really nice on Brosnan with his English-styled 3-piece suits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.