Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CFO is about to send off a pair of Cole-Haans to their restoration service. Has anyone here used them? How good are they?

Cole-Haan offers different levels of service, including an upper one for $115 that includes cedar shoe trees and bags. Alden charges $125 and gives you the trees and bags, and doesn't seem to suggest that it could be done less expensively without them.

I had always thought Cole-Haans were good, but not expensive enough to justify refurbishing. Apparently some of the newer models with the Nike technology are as expensive as Aldens and AEs, and I don't know how a regular shoe repair shop would be able to work on those anyway.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't buy the upper-end Cole Haans. I have an acquaintance who works at a Cole Haan store (boutique?) and she has tried to sell me on them before. I just don't understand why I would spend $300 on calfskin shoes made in some foreign country with dubious materials when I could spend the same money on some AE's made in America with proven durability and classic styling.

So my Cole Haan experience is limited to the $100-150ish pairs. There's no way I'd drop $115 to fix a $115 pair of shoes.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So my Cole Haan experience is limited to the $100-150ish pairs. There's no way I'd drop $115 to fix a $115 pair of shoes.
That's my thought. I bought a pair of Cole Haans that were pretty much their version of the AE Park Avenues for $170 and took them back because I decided I'd rather wait until I could justify the expense of another pair of Aldens.

The restoration service without the trees and bags is $85, which I suppose isn't bad on a $170 pair of shoes.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Not sure I'd spend $115 to refurbish a pair of Cole Haans. I tend to buy my Cole Haans on sale, wear them hard, and take them to a fantastic local cobbler. He manages to refurbish them for me (generally ~$50), and they're good for another year of abuse.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I am in Dallas. Who is the said Cobbler?
Roma Shoe Repair
(214) 902-9510
4343 W Northwest Hwy # 340
Dallas, TX 75220

He's on the north-east corner of Midway and NW Hwy, next door to Honey Baked Ham. He's a GREAT cobbler--and probably the happiest guy you'll ever meet.

I've been taking my boots and shoes to him for years. I wear my Cole Hanns, in particular, very hard, and, somehow, he keeps them looking good and going strong. I just had a ~10 year old pair of Cole Haan loafers resoled--picked them up yesterdy and they look outstanding. His proces are great, too.

I've tried most of the other cobblers in Dallas over the years (including Dino's) and none of them come close to Roma. I have no affiliation other than as a very happy customer.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Roma

And, he's fast. I think my shoes are generally ready within 3 days.

The only downside is he has slightly limited hours--closes at 5pm or 5:30 on week days and ~1pm on Saturdays. closed Sunday. Small price to pay, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just received my Cole Haan Air Lucarno. from Bluefly.com. They are actually very comfortable. I have had the Nike Air Cole Haan's before in a loafer, so I decided to try the oxford's. They look great, and only cost $200, so I cannot justify paying $115 to save them. Might as well just buy another pair of shoes.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'd be reluctant to use CH to refurbish CH shoes, because they don't make their own shoes. So they won't be using the original last, and they probably will just have shoe repair shops with whom they deal refurbish the shoes for you; if that ends up being the case, you'd just be paying a markup to have CH send them to a shoe repair shop for you. I know that J&M used to do this with their shoes, and Church's also does this with their shoes in the USA (although with Church's, the shoe repair shop is given Church's materials (not the last, of course) to do the repair).

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd be reluctant to use CH to refurbish CH shoes, because they don't make their own shoes. So they won't be using the original last, and they probably will just have shoe repair shops with whom they deal refurbish the shoes for you; if that ends up being the case, you'd just be paying a markup to have CH send them to a shoe repair shop for you. I know that J&M used to do this with their shoes, and Church's also does this with their shoes in the USA (although with Church's, the shoe repair shop is given Church's materials (not the last, of course) to do the repair).
I actually don't own any Cole-Haans; these are my CFO's. In the conversation I let it slip that I wear much more expensive shoes than he does. Maybe I'll convert him. :)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The English shoes made by Cheaney for Cole Haan are pretty nice, and until approx. 2 years ago they had some better Italian shoes made for them (sold for $550 or so), so I don't think that everything that CH sells is bad. But even with their better shoes, I wouldn't pay them a premium to send my shoes out for shoe repair.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The English shoes made by Cheaney for Cole Haan are pretty nice, and until approx. 2 years ago they had some better Italian shoes made for them (sold for $550 or so), so I don't think that everything that CH sells is bad. But even with their better shoes, I wouldn't pay them a premium to send my shoes out for shoe repair.
The service without getting a "free" pair of shoe trees is $80. This is slightly higher than what your typical mall shoe repair place would charge, and much less than the one really competent cobbler in town. So I don't think the "premium" is financial, it's time - it has to be mailed, worked on in a large facility, and mailed back.

When I send off my Aldens, it takes about a month. When I went to Trio, I spent as much money and it took three days. Depends on one's priorities.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Cole Haan Restoration

When you send in your Cole Haan shoes, they are going to a shoe repair factory in Houston Texas. I have been there and the work is outstanding. They use the original unit soles that most CH shoes are made with. This replaces the rubber fake welting as well as the sole , heel base and combination toplift. The uppers are reconditioned and re-antiqued. They also have the nike air sole when they need to be replaced.
Most repair shops will not replace colehaan soles with the original unit soles. They don't have access to this sole like the place in Houston.
A good value over buying new shoes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.