Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across these shoes which are for $395

They seem to be what I'm looking for i.e. comfy but still good looking. Seem to be very well made too. However momsdoc suggests here that this brand may not be worth the price. So I'm wondering if I can find something similar from another brand for a cheaper price.

As a seemingly unrelated question, are there any wing tip chukkas?

· Registered
6,593 Posts
I believe you may have misinterpreted my meaning in that post. I was expressing concern about an unknown Spanish shoe being marketed as being a much less expensive alternative to the likes of C&J or EG.

Comparing them against known (to us) Spanish manufacturers, at $425 a pop, they were priced the same as Carmina at the time which was the top end of pricing and quality for Spanish shoes that we typically compare.

Today Carmina are $450, these CU are a significant 12% less. That would make them a reasonable option versus Carmina, if, big if, they are of comparable quality. These Yanko go for $334 retail and are on sale for $250. I believe Yanko is of similar quality to Carmina.

Footwear Brown Shoe Walking shoe Outdoor shoe

That would make them a more economical alternative to CU, in a known brand of good quality. They are not the color you have found, nor available in every size. At present neither Carmina, Yanko, nor Carlos Santos has a grain longwing in the color you are looking at. That makes the price premium worth paying, if you cannot wait, or are willing to be the Trail Blazers and try the CU. You may well be on to something, and can let the rest of us know if this is a manufacturer we should explore. I "took one for the team" trying out Yanko, and was one of the first to try CS. CS had the Skoaktie seal of approval, which meant a lot.

These Meermin are $175.

Footwear Brown Shoe Dress shoe Font

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it seems I misunderstood you. The Meermins look good actually (and I'm in the mood for saving a few bucks). I can take one for the team later! These boots from them caught my eyes too.

I know I'm comparing apples and oranges.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Very interesting thread! I too would be interested in learning of any first-hand experiences here with Cobblers Union. (Though I'm not as much of player in the footwear market as MD! :rolleyes:)

Decided to check my own cheapie UK alternative of Sanders & Sanders. No luck, the only long wing brogue they're making stock right now is in burgundy with smooth leather. But it is their top range, which means decent calf uppers. Entirely Northamptonshire made, I would expect the same solid construction and meticulous finishing. About $348 ex-VAT.

· Registered
2,971 Posts
I have visited their brick and mortar and did a MTO. I think they are a well made shoe and have some nice features of higher end shoes such as a channeled sole. They are made in Spain. I think they are worth the price but wouldn't call them a screaming bargain.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Not Meermin. These are theirs.

View attachment 19124
Yes, thanks, they're from the Beckett Simonon brand for which I provided the Put This On article. Frankly, at these prices the uppers can't be supper high quality, but also, frankly, for $219 including free shipping they're certainly not a bad value, and a consideration for someone can't or doesn't want to pay more.

Wonder how they compare to Meermin? To my eye Meermin looks more refined. Yet . . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.