Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I hate synthetic materials. Like, really really hate them. I lament the fact that coats nowadays, whether it be a humble sport coat or a wonderful great coat, seem to inescapably have synthetic liners sewn into them. At least, without going to great effort to find the extremely rare and $$$ pieces that truly only use natural materials.

Has anyone else had luck finding good synthetic-less coats?

· Registered
108 Posts
I agree with you. I never understood how a wool coat could have a synthetic lining and be advertised as a warm wool coat. You probably need custom made or find a tailor to remove and replace a lining. I am awaiting other responses on this topic.

· Premium Member
6,508 Posts
Has anyone else had luck finding good synthetic-less coats?
No. But then I haven't tried.
I am awaiting other responses on this topic.
Okay. Here's one.
Not sure I'm getting precisely what you two are talking about. Suit coats and blazers, or outer coats and overcoats? And by liner, do you mean the thin silky type of a blazer, or an insulated one found often in outer coats?

I know of no natural fibers that currently line either of these type coats, with the exception of an all-cotton liner I have inside an older wool hunting coat. Most linings are made with rayon or something akin to that. Rayon is partially natural, partially man-made. It's been in use as a lining for over 100 years. Everything is lined with this. Even the snooty Bemberg lining that resides in better clothing is a derivative of rayon.

Where is it that you've seen a suit coat, blazer or outer coat lined with something you would call an all-natural fabric? And why exactly would you want this? I realize this question occurs in the Trad forum, so is it thought to be truly Trad, you can't use a synthetic liner? Again, all jackets, suit and sport coats that have linings, Trad or otherwise, have for over 100 years been lined synthetically. As I type I have on a mostly wool jacket from LL Bean, it's a sport coat type, but it's very heavy and has a quilted DuPont Thinsulate lining, the exterior of which is rayon-like, the filling wadded up polyester stuff. I love this thing, couldn't imagine it being lined with anything else.

What exactly is your objection to a synthetic as a lining, and what would you use in its place? Silk? Tough to get and very expensive. No liner at all? Good luck, even coats billed as unlined usually have a lining at the very top of the back, so the jacket won't stick to your shoulders. And with outer coats a lining is often removable, for seasonal reasons, it either zips out or buttons out, is installed for warmth, sometimes there's a filling of polyester, sometimes down, and usually it's faced with a rayon type material, for ease in putting on and off. So what are your alternative lining suggestions, in place of the tried and true for the past one hundred years?

· Premium Member
6,508 Posts
Peacoat, Gloverall duffle coat.
Don't think the OP was referring to duffle or pea coats...
I lament the fact that coats nowadays, whether it be a humble sport coat or a wonderful great coat, seem to inescapably have synthetic liners sewn into them.
I have two pea coats, one current, one WWII, both have synthetic lining. I don't know about duffle coats, don't own one because I can't get past the in your face latching system.

· Registered
158 Posts
As I recall Hickey Freeman by default used bemberg in the lining of the body of jackets and silk in the lining of the sleeves, at least for their mainline suits. It's changed hands and moved most operations to Canada, but I'd bet you could order any MTM suit jacket, sports coat, top coat, etc. lined entirely in silk. They'd probably even line one in cotton for you. (Incidentally, bemberg, while synthetic, has been around for 150 years and is a pretty good lining material.)

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Don't think the OP was referring to duffle or pea coats...

I have two pea coats, one current, one WWII, both have synthetic lining. I don't know about duffle coats, don't own one because I can't get past the in your face latching system.
I checked my Gloverall and, yes, no lining at all. It came with instructions for wearing, simplifying proper use of the toggles. First few times you might want to have someone fasten it for you and you can then pull it on over your head. Easier than a ready-tied necktie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts