Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just scored a Chesterfield off Ebay, slightly used and not as rough as this picture makes it out to be (its a BB 3 btn fly front, charcoal and black velvet, jet black bemberg lining)

I am thinking of wearing it with this sort of generic scottish cashmere scarf in black and white houndstooth like so:

My question is - The cashmere is pretty loose and fluffy on the scarf is this going to shed all over the velvet collar and plain wool of the coat in the sense that one is going to act as a lint brush against the other over time. I hate to wear anything black that has fuzz, hair , lint, pills etc. all over it. Anything Black looks a million times better lint free. Should I go for a silk scarf instead - this will only be worn for social occasions. Last question, its fairly old but it seems to be clean, doesn't smell or anything, I brushed it - if you just bought it off ebay would you automatically have it dry cleaned - velvet collar and all ? Any risks here ? I normally always get everything done once I get it off Ebay but this may be a bit different, I am guessing its 15 years old anyway but almost flawless, should I bother?

Since I was snapping pics here is a photo of a pair of Duchamp cufflinks I got off their website in England during their sale (may still be on). Even with pricey shipping the dollar is great against the pound and the direct prices were great, total cost about $68 I believe

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Get the silk scarf, or one that's silk reversible to a hard-finished wool, like this one:

https://www.forzieri.com/usa/product_view.asp?l=usa&c=usa&dept_id=4&pf_id=fz09088%2D005&id_valore1=65&id_valore2=&id_valore3=&id_valore4=&id_valore5=&search=1

That cashmere scarf is too casual-looking to go well with a Chesterfield, which is one of the most formal of overcoats. Also, the cashmere scarf would be rather bulky under the collar and lapels when what you want is a smooth-finished, relatively thin scarf that will lie easily between your jacket and your topcoat.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
That is one smart-looking scarf. It would be a shame not to wear it because of some formality issue, at least during the day. Maybe evenings you'd want to go with silk.

Definitely get the Chesterfield cleaned. At least then you can have some assurance that it doesn't have moth eggs in it somewhere waiting to hatch.

As for the linting, just wear it and see for yourself. I've never found that my Cashmere scarves shed noticeably. After all, you will be wearing the scarf under, not over, the collar. If you're worried about it, get a small, portable lint brush for those compulsive moments.:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, as an update I was told at the dry cleaner that the velvet collar that is a deep black may become more like gray after they are through traumatizing it with their chemicals. I doubt it will really change as this coat must have been dry cleaned at least once in its life (?). In any event I bet it could be touched up with Rit dye somehow if they do manage to trash it. the dry cleaner said it might happen like this is something that always happens to black velvet meanwhile you can see examples of vintage chesterfields and no fading of the black collar so I am hoping it was just her stab at a legal disclaimer in the event it was dyed black using some cheapo process. I will know tomorrow. I didn't even think about "moth eggs" - thanks for that tip, that would kill me as the coat will be jammed into a closet packed with sports jackets and other overcoats - dinner is served !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.