Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen discussions on the forum about differences between bespoke -vs- MTM. I'm clear on these differences.

However, recently I've seen references to CMT (Cut-Make-Trim).

I did a quick search through the forum and I didn't find any threads with a good explanation of CMT.

From what I can tell, CMT falls between MTM and bespoke but I'm not clear on the details. Can someone please explain the details to me?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
CMT: cut measure and trim. Basically a tailor or factory that will make garments for you if you provide your own cloth. They will cut the garment measure it for you and make it providing linings interfacings, canvas, buttons, gimp,(trims) etc.

You can get MTM and Bespoke made in this way.

I've seen discussions on the forum about differences between bespoke -vs- MTM. I'm clear on these differences.

However, recently I've seen references to CMT (Cut-Make-Trim).

I did a quick search through the forum and I didn't find any threads with a good explanation of CMT.

From what I can tell, CMT falls between MTM and bespoke but I'm not clear on the details. Can someone please explain the details to me?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CMT: cut measure and trim. Basically a tailor or factory that will make garments for you if you provide your own cloth. They will cut the garment measure it for you and make it providing linings interfacings, canvas, buttons, gimp,(trims) etc.

You can get MTM and Bespoke made in this way.
So MTM shops that give you the option to provide your own fabric are CMT, right? Or does CMT indicate that it is generally your responsibility to provide the fabric to the tailor?

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
As far as I know, CMT only refers to the option of providing your own fabric.

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
CMT is the term applied to production that a factory makes using cloth that is supplied by their customer- whether that be an individual or a store. There is no difference in MTM and CMT other than the cloth being supplied by who ever is placing the order. There should be a difference in the price charged- the producer is supplying the cloth in MTM and does not incur the cost of cloth in CMT.
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
My understanding of Cut-Make-Trim has been somewhat different, though I would certainly defer to Paul's explanation.

I once had a gent who cut the clothing himself (I watched him.) from my measurements applied to standard patterns. He would either supply cloth from a number of houses, such as Scabal, or the customer could provide the cloth himself. Then he would send the suit/jacket/trousers out to be made. During my history with him I could tell by the construction that various shops actually made up the clothing. After a final fitting he would provide buttons and button holes, and any final adjustments prior to the final garment being ready for pick up.

He would also provide a basted fitting if desired. I don't know if he or an asistant put it together, as it would have minimal foundation, prior to sending it to be made. This was largely show business.

My understanding was that his business would also fall under the term of a CMT.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
My understanding of Cut-Make-Trim has been somewhat different, though I would certainly defer to Paul's explanation.

I once had a gent who cut the clothing himself (I watched him.) from my measurements applied to standard patterns. He would either supply cloth from a number of houses, such as Scabal, or the customer could provide the cloth himself. Then he would send the suit/jacket/trousers out to be made. During my history with him I could tell by the construction that various shops actually made up the clothing. After a final fitting he would provide buttons and button holes, and any final adjustments prior to the final garment being ready for pick up.

He would also provide a basted fitting if desired. I don't know if he or an asistant put it together, as it would have minimal foundation, prior to sending it to be made. This was largely show business.

My understanding was that his business would also fall under the term of a CMT.
the only difference between a tailors regular product and cmt is when you furnish the woolens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.