Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught the movie this past weekend in PPV and thought there might be some discussion here about the clothing. Beautifully made movie with great sets and scenery. Train looked amazing and I know many of us would love a ride in that bygone era.
In particular interested in your thoughts on some of the suits worn by Kenneth Branagh and Johnny Depp.

· Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed that also and figured someone here Would explain. I also liked the detachable collar Branagh wears in the scene he explains the murder.

· Registered
7,025 Posts
One thing came to mind was how Johnny Depp wears his tie in the beginning of the film where he wears the tire like an ascot and use tie clasp to fix it to his shirt. I do not know whether it was the result of laziness or was intentionally done.
I saw the movie, and thought that particular detail was used to show exactly what an ill-bred gangster/murderer Depp's character was, to think that was a proper way to wear a tie. (I remember that particular detail being in some vogue in the early 1970's - it didn't look good then, either.)

On the other hand, I lusted after virtually every suit Kenneth Branagh wore in the movie. As a movie, it didn't really work, but the costuming and sets were spectacular.

· Registered
981 Posts
I saw the movie, and thought that particular detail was used to show exactly what an ill-bred gangster/murderer Depp's character was, to think that was a proper way to wear a tie. (I remember that particular detail being in some vogue in the early 1970's - it didn't look good then, either.)
That is a perfectly good explanation. Thank you for that.

I think that is also related to how the character Poirot keeps on asking people to straighten their ties (one in Jerusalem and another one in Brod), while his tie is somewhat skewed.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
My question about the costumes is whether there would have been anything about Willem Dafoe's outfits that revealed him not to be a racist Austrian scientist.

I watched this on a plane a couple weeks ago, so I lost the big-screen experience that Branagh deliberately foisted on what's basically a drawing-room murder mystery

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.