Men's Clothing Forums banner

Clothing Illustrations From or Inspired by the 20s to the 60s

385K views 5K replies 79 participants last post by  Oviatt 
#1 · (Edited)
I stumbled across this illustration - a Coke ad from 1957 - and thought it would be neat to attempt to get a thread going on illustrations of Ivy clothes (kinda like what Flanderian is doing with Vintage Esquire illustrations over on the other side of the house).

And, if not, this one with its OCBD, ski and V-neck sweaters, khakis, argyle socks and Weejuns is fun just by itself. Also, clearly, Coke wanted to position itself as cool, so this is more evidence that the cool kids of the '50s were dressing in Ivy.

Many years ago, I dated a blonde who said a black turtleneck is a blonde's best friend - no argument from me.

Art Food Cuisine Cooking Sharing

See less See more
#4,449 ·
Great point. I have a similar concern with DB jackets, Faders. I much prefer a higher button stance, and I have seen DB jackets that are so low that the only button that works is the one at the very bottom (and perhaps a jigger button inside). The large lapels go all the way down and hang loose and open at the chest, and you feel like you need a very large ascot instead of a tie to cover the shirt front! In fact, I much prefer the naval style DB button stance, high and with vertical rows of buttons on either side, rather than the spread-out top button pair. But it is hard to find jackets like that for civilian use. Of course one can always move the top buttons and position them directly above the ones in the second pair. It would be great to find a US Navy blazer, but they are usually not there in the Army-Navy surplus places, especially without insignia.

1638056161199.png

#4,468 ·
View attachment 70423

Something we talk about from time to time, on the right is a historical example of a sweater tucked into the dress trousers.
Outstanding! :happy:

I'm with you, they're mainly just distracting.

The one I posted is surprisingly 100% wool, I thought it was pure camelhair.

I've thought about trying single breasted coats, but they seem to often have fairly open chests, or are very conservative in styling. On the other hand, camel is so bold, maybe it all balances out.

Do you have any pictures of yours?

I came to respect that pocket, despite usually disliking flapped breast pockets.

That's a giant, flappy pocket that isn't shy, and I dig the synergy between it and the patch pockets.

Good eye on the cramped patch pockets, I didn't catch that initially.

Ralph's flapped pocket here is much smaller. Frankly I'm more annoyed by this one because it unintentionally looks slapped on, like a design detail was lost in translation. It makes me want to get out some scissors and snip it off.

Another flapper.
Very nice! 👍

#4,463 ·
The problem with tucking in sweater and shirt (and perhaps an undershirt or T shirt to add to the mix) is that there is often a lot of bulk around the belt line. Unless one has a waist that is slim to the point of non-existence, this practice will result in an uncomfortable bunching under the waistband of one's trousers.

I often take the opposite tack, not just with sweaters, as most people do, but also with long-sleeved polo shirts. I always wear a polo shirt outside, or untucked. And then, when I wish to have another layer, I wear a jacket or blazer over them. It's a bit more comfortable for me.

#4,464 · (Edited)
The problem with tucking in sweater and shirt...is that there is often a lot of bulk along the belt line.
True. But the solution may not be to abandon the sweater tuck, but to have pants and jackets tailored to accomodate. Too loose or baggy if worn without the sweater? Of course, but just like you have indoor and outdoor jackets, each for a specific purpose, likewise with pants. You have sweater pants and regular pants.

I like the look and feel of a tucked light weight sweater. And even the more extreme: to accomodate a heavy Norwegian pull-over, I have both a larger girthed jacket and a Norwegian with the sleeves removed.

-----------------------​

He returns to add:
The Norwegian is not tucked, too visually heavy. The example is given to tell of the accomodation of jackets as well as pants.

#4,472 ·
This is a really nice one. I know we've had Austin Reed illustrations before - and they've always been well done - but I don't remember ever seeing this one before.

My first (and only) true trench coat was an olive Austin Reed one that was meaningfully less expensive than Burberry, but I'd say of similar quality.

#4,473 ·
This is a really nice one. I know we've had Austin Reed illustrations before - and they've always been well done - but I don't remember ever seeing this one before.

My first (and only) true trench coat was an olive Austin Reed one that was meaningfully less expensive than Burberry, but I'd say of similar quality.
Good! :D I hate posting dupes.

I'm sure through the years I've seen Austin Reed clothing, but don't recall much. Believe it to have been poorly represented in the U.S.

Burberry has a well deserved reputation, but at some point, even well before it became just a fashion brand, both its reputation and price exceeded its reality. I have two trench coats, both between 25 & 30 years old. One Burberry and one Brooks. Like both and each of fine quality, but frankly, the Brooks coat is better, more guts.

#4,474 ·
You know, I have a lovely Botany 500 trench coat in olive green that is as good as any other trench coat I have, including Burberry. Considerably less expensive, especially since it was picked up on a deep discount sale. I don't have a Brooks trench coat, so I can't compare there.

#4,496 · (Edited)
Since LNER stands for London North Eastern Railway, perhaps we can safely assume that the Scarborough referred to here is the coastal resort town in Yorkshire, and not Scarborough, NY (on the Hudson) or other similarly named towns in the US.

In any case, this is a gorgeous image, as FF points out. It reminds me of a magazine advert for travel to Bermuda which I saw as a child in Malaya and fell in love with. That one too showed a long sweep of beach with small buildings, but at twilight, with that lovely nacreous blue light one usually finds closer to the tropics, at the point where it is fading into dark. It had distant lights that seemed to twinkle on in the buildings on shore, and the dark blue of the ocean past the beach.

Eager as I was in those days to travel and see the world that I had only read about in books, I imagined what it would be like to be on that beach. And life did turn out well in that respect. I have travelled to so many countries, lived in several, learned the languages of other people and tried to understand their cultures. That is the ultimate education, and I speak as one who made a life in teaching and research. Sometimes the world contains blessings in disguise, and the pleasure of living is to discover these blessings and keep them in our memories, and close at hand in our hearts. It can well be our insurance against despair.

Good heavens, all that from an advert! Maybe there is a point to advertising...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.