Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again, everyone. This is my 9th month on my sartorial journey and I feel that I'm just getting to the good stuff. Anyway, I have had an o.k. time putting things together - or so I thought. I have wondered about this subject for some time now. Just to give everyone some background on how I look: 6'4", dark chocolatey toned young man (20). I usually wear my navy blazer with a shirt. Most times when I wear the blazer, I either do a plain white shirt or a blue/ green checked shirt. What would be some good choices for my skin tone? Thanks!

· Registered
81 Posts
Go with your own eye, of course

But IMHO: a lime green shirt might work well with the navy blazer for you, as well as pink one. I suppose I mention lime because you seem to have already recognized that some green works for you. I also think a light beige or a khaki shirt might be interesting, if offset with a more colorful tie. Lavender should be an interesting choice as well.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Hello again, everyone. This is my 9th month on my sartorial journey and I feel that I'm just getting to the good stuff. Anyway, I have had an o.k. time putting things together - or so I thought. I have wondered about this subject for some time now. Just to give everyone some background on how I look: 6'4", dark chocolatey toned young man (20). I usually wear my navy blazer with a shirt. Most times when I wear the blazer, I either do a plain white shirt or a blue/ green checked shirt. What would be some good choices for my skin tone? Thanks!
Gentlemen of color tend to wear the right brown, or tan, better than just about any other complexion, but unfortunately, it would be difficult, though not necessarily impossible to find a tan shirt to work with your blazer. It's really hard to describe skin tones fully in words, because one's skin can have so many secondary colors in it that would make a very long list of different colors that can all fall under one term.

I see no reason a plain white shirt shouldn't look good. Very possibly a sunny yellow would be a good bet. And the right pink should work very well too. Lavender can also be a very flattering color of dark skinned men, but it doesn't often work with navy. Greens can be problematic because of different secondary skin tones. Depends on the guy, and I don't really care for it with navy anyway.

· Registered
100 Posts
Gentlemen of color tend to wear the right brown, or tan, better than just about any other complexion, but unfortunately, it would be difficult, though not necessarily impossible to find a tan shirt to work with your blazer. It's really hard to describe skin tones fully in words, because one's skin can have so many secondary colors in it that would make a very long list of different colors that can all fall under one term.

I see no reason a plain white shirt shouldn't look good. Very possibly a sunny yellow would be a good bet. And the right pink should work very well too. Lavender can also be a very flattering color of dark skinned men, but it doesn't often work with navy. Greens can be problematic because of different secondary skin tones. Depends on the guy, and I don't really care for it with navy anyway.
I agree that a darker skin tone lends itself well too tan or brownish colors (while they're very difficult for lighter skinned guys). But with a blazer, I think a lighter green or blue (light and/or patterned obviously) shirt would be best.

· Registered
69 Posts
Avoiding blues...

Absent a picture of you, and given the usual wisdom of tans and sunny colors with darker skin, maybe this is a point where I could speculate about something we see daily: the very gold silk damask that is being used as a TV backdrop to Pres. Obama. As opposed to the usual Chromakey blue, this deep yellow, I think, is supposed to be more complimentary to his skin tone. But I wonder.

They may be headed in the right direction, but the color, to me (a photographer with calibrated monitors) is so brassy and harsh that I think they ought to reconsider.

Anyond else find this true?

· Registered
2,371 Posts
I agree that a darker skin tone lends itself well too tan or brownish colors (while they're very difficult for lighter skinned guys). But with a blazer, I think a lighter green or blue (light and/or patterned obviously) shirt would be best.
I disagree. I think brown and tan colors look washed out on people with winter complexions (especially if they are darker skinned).

The chart below is the real deal with proper color coordination for your complexion. Any color is not listed as a color to avoid is a best color.

Proper Color Coordination for Your Complexion

Winter Complexions

Hair colors:
1. Bald (completely hairless on top of head). 2. Black. 3. Brownish black. 4. Gray. 5. White.

Skin colors and skin tones:
1. Beige. 2. Dark brownish gray (a mixture of dark brown and dark gray-50% dark brown/50% dark gray). 3. Ivory. 4. Medium brownish gray (a mixture of medium brown and medium gray-50%medium brown/50% medium gray). 5. Tan.
1. Beige skin and ivory skin sometimes appear creamy white or whitish.
2. Dark brownish gray skin and medium brownish gray skin sometimes appear blackish.
3. Skin sometimes has subtle hints or no hints of any one, two, three or four out of five or all five of the following colors: blue, green, pink, red and yellow.
4. Skin sometimes has the following: a various amount of freckles and/or rosy cheeks that are variably rosy.
5. Tan skin sometimes appears blackish, creamy white or whitish.

Eye colors:
1. Aqua (changes back and forth between the following colors: medium blue and medium green). 2. Black. 3. Brownish black. 4. Dark blue. 5. Dark green. 6. Dark hazel (changes back and forth between the following colors: brownish black and dark green). 6. Medium blue. 7. Medium green. 8. Turquoise (changes back and forth between the following colors: dark blue and dark green).

Colors to avoid:
1. Brown. 2. Orange. 3. Peach. 4. Tan.

Spring Complexions

Hair colors:
1. Light auburn (light brownish red-50% bright red/50% light brown). 2. Light blonde.
3. Light brown. 4. Light strawberry blonde (light blondish red-50% bright red/50% light blonde).

Skin colors and skin tones: 1. Beige. 2. Ivory.
1. Skin sometimes appears creamy white and whitish.
2. Skin sometimes has subtle hints or no hints of any one or both of the following colors: gold and peach.
3. Skin sometimes has the following: a various amount of freckles and/or rosy cheeks that are variably rosy.

Eye colors:
1. Light blue. 2. Light green. 3. Teal (changes back and forth between the following colors: light blue and light green).

Colors to avoid:
1. All dark colors (especially black and excluding the following: dark blue, dark gray and dark red).

Summer Complexions

Hair colors:
1. Dark blonde. 2. Dark strawberry blonde (dark blondish red-50% dark blonde/50% medium red). 3. Medium auburn (medium brownish red-50% medium brown/50% medium red).
4. Medium brown. 5. Medium red.

1. Beige. 2. Ivory.
1. Skin sometimes appears creamy white or whitish.
2. Skin sometimes has subtle hints or no hints of any one, two, three or four out of five or all five of the following colors: blue, green, pink, red and yellow.
3. Skin sometimes has the following: a small to extremely small amount of freckles and/or cheeks that are a small to extremely small amount rosy.

Eye colors:
1. Aqua (changes back and forth between the following colors: medium blue and medium green). 2. Light blue. 3. Light brown. 4. Light green. 5. Light hazel (changes back and forth between the following colors: light brown and light green). 6. Medium blue. 7. Medium brown. 8. Medium green. 9. Medium hazel (changes back and forth between the following colors: medium brown and medium green). 10. Teal (changes back and forth between the following colors: light blue and light green).

Colors to avoid:
1. All dark colors (especially black and excluding the following: dark blue, dark gray, dark red and plum). 2. All medium colors (excluding the following: mauve, medium blue, medium brown, medium gray, most medium pastel colors and rose brown). 3. All shades of yellow (excluding pale yellow). 4. Brown (excluding the following: medium brown and rose brown). 5. Green. 6. Orange. 7. Tan.

Autumn Complexions

Hair colors:
1. Dark auburn (dark brownish red-50% dark brown/50% dark red). 2. Dark brown. 3. Dark red.

1. Beige. 2. Ivory.
2. Skin sometimes has subtle hints or no hints of any one or two out of three or all three of the following colors: brown, gold and peach.
3. Skin sometimes has the following: a various amount of freckles and/or rosy cheeks that are variably rosy.

Eye colors: 1. Aqua (back and forth between the following: medium blue and medium green). 2. Dark blue. 3. Dark brown. 4. Dark green. 5. Dark hazel (back and forth between the following: dark brown and dark green). 6. Medium blue. 7. Medium brown. 8. Medium green. 9. Medium hazel (back and forth between the following: medium brown and medium green). 10. Turquoise (back and forth between the following: dark blue and dark green).

Colors to avoid: 1. All light colors (excluding the following: beige, light blue, light brown, light gray and white). 2. All medium colors (excluding the following: medium blue, medium brown, medium gray and tan). 3. All pastel colors. 4. Black.

· Registered
69 Posts
I disagree. I think brown and tan colors look washed out on people with winter complexions (especially if they are darker skinned).

The chart below is the real deal with proper color coordination for your complexion. Any color is not listed as a color to avoid is a best color.

Proper Color Coordination for Your Complexion

Autumn Complexions

Colors to avoid: 1. All light colors (excluding the following: beige, light blue, light brown, light gray and white). 2. All medium colors (excluding the following: medium blue, medium brown, medium gray and tan). 3. All pastel colors. 4. Black.

Eye colors: 1. Aqua (back and forth between the following: medium blue and medium green). 2. Dark blue. 3. Dark brown. 4. Dark green. 5. Dark hazel (back and forth between the following: dark brown and dark green). 6. Medium blue. 7. Medium brown. 8. Medium green. 9. Medium hazel (back and forth between the following: medium brown and medium green). 10. Turquoise (back and forth between the following: dark blue and dark green).

Hair colors: 1. Dark brown. 2. Dark red. 3. Medium brown. 4. Medium red.

2. Skin sometimes has subtle hints or no hints of any one or two out of three or all three of the following colors: brown, gold and peach.

Spring Complexions

Colors to avoid: 1. All dark colors (especially black and excluding the following: dark blue, dark gray and dark red).

Eye colors: 1. Light blue. 2. Light green. 3. Teal (changes back and forth between the following colors: light blue and light green).

Hair colors: 1. Auburn (light brownish red-50% light brown/50% red). 2. Blonde.
3. Light brown. 4. Strawberry blonde (blondish red-50% blonde/50% red).

1. Skin sometimes appears creamy white and whitish.
2. Skin sometimes has subtle hints or no hints of any one or both of the following colors: gold and peach.

Summer Complexions

Colors to avoid: 1. All dark colors (especially black and excluding the following: dark blue, dark gray, dark red and plum). 2. All medium colors (excluding the following: all medium pastel colors, mauve, medium blue, medium brown, medium gray and rose brown). 3. All shades of yellow (excluding pale yellow). 4. Brown (excluding the following: medium brown and rose brown). 5. Green. 6. Orange. 7. Tan.

Eye colors: 1. Aqua (changes back and forth between the following colors: medium blue and medium green). 2. Light blue. 3. Light brown. 4. Light green. 5. Light hazel (changes back and forth between the following colors: light brown and light green). 6. Medium blue. 7. Medium brown. 8. Medium green. 9. Medium hazel (changes back and forth between the following colors: medium brown and medium green). 10. Teal (changes back and forth between the following colors: light blue and light green).

Hair colors: 1. Dark blonde. 2. Medium brown.

2. Skin sometimes has subtle hints or no hints of any one, two, three or four out of five or all five of the following colors: blue, green, pink, red and yellow.
3. Skin sometimes has the following: a small to extremely small amount of freckles and/or cheeks that are a small to extremely small amount rosy.

Winter Complexions

Colors to avoid: 1. Brown. 2. Orange. 3. Peach. 4. Tan.

Eye colors: 1. Black. 2. Chocolate 3. Dark blue. 4. Dark green. 5. Dark hazel (changes back and forth between the following colors: chocolate and dark green). 6. Turquoise (changes back and forth between the following colors: dark blue and dark green).

Hair colors: 1. Bald (completely hairless on top of head). 2. Black. 3. Chocolate. 4. Gray. 5. White.

Skin colors and skin tones: 1. Beige. 2. Dark brownish gray (a mixture of dark brown and dark gray-50% dark brown/50% dark gray). 3. Ivory. 4. Medium brownish gray (a mixture of medium brown and medium gray-50% medium brown/50% medium gray). 5. Tan.

1. Beige skin and ivory skin sometimes appear creamy white or whitish.
2. Dark brownish gray skin and medium brownish gray skin sometimes appear blackish.
3. Skin sometimes has subtle hints or no hints of any one, two, three or four out of five or all five of the following colors: blue, green, pink, red and yellow.
4. Skin sometimes has the following: a small to extremely small amount of freckles and/or cheeks that are a small to extremely small amount rosy.
5. Tan skin sometimes appears blackish, creamy white or whitish.
:confused:I'm sure all this gibberish means something to whomever dreamt up the descriptors, but this needs some serious editing. Not knowing my "season" and seeing all the "avoids" long before ever getting to any sort of definitional reference makes me wonder about the ultimate value of this superficially comprehensive listing.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I have Carole Jackson's book, Color for Men before me as I type this. I've read it and her prior books on the same topic for women. And while she is correct about some things as generalizations, she is wrong in most details. Her complex system of categorization and rigid principles is no doubt the result of the marketability of categorization and rigid principles rather than reality.

A prime example of its silliness is placing men with the OP's self described chocolate colored skin tones into the same category as Mediterranean complexions, and those of some British Isle natives who tend to have sallow olive skin tones and black or very dark brown hair. My initial caution about the inadequacies of text to describe color is based on experience. The OP's skin could well have rose, blue, lavender, yellow, orange or red highlights depending on its own individual nature and still could be described as chocolate. But its individual nature would demand different colors depending on the highlights.

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Hello again, everyone. ... Just to give everyone some background on how I look: 6'4", dark chocolatey toned young man (20).
ARE YOU BLACK??!?

Just kidding. But, kinda not. I mean, even black people have particular skin tones which can determine choosing properly coordinated clothes. Though the darker skin might make underlying shades more difficult to pick out, be aware of them.

You could have colder or warmer colors, brown (and even straight black used in clothes) have cooler or warmer base colors. You could be a green brown, a purple brown, a red brown, a yellow brown, etc. Try to figure that out first to make sure you aren't going directly complimentary to skin color--think red faced white guy in a green suit: yikes~!.

As for overall color, I think the darker the skin color, the worse for super bright/saturated colors. Tone down all colors except for maybe a chosen accessory like tie or pocket square. The contrast with a dark skin and some cartoon color tends to be overpowering and bizarre, so keep overall suit and shirt colors subtle.

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks, everyone! I think that posting a picture of me will do better than a description ever can, thought I think sometimes that I can see pink in my skin. Here is the first picture I ever posted on Ask Andy:

I think I have a tone closer to this in the light, though:

EDIT: For the last picture I posted, your monitors do not need to be adjusted! The tops of my ears are really that much lighter than my face. I used to have a very large natural and, when I cut it off, the hues of my skin stayed that way.

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Yep!

That's pink--you can tell by the lighter areas on nose, cheeks, ears, etc.

You look like a red-brown, so work off your skin as if you are RED/PINK as a base color to decide clothes. You can probably wear certain low level blues, but avoid a lot of green in suits and shirts. If uncertain, check the clothes in a mirror before purchase and see if they make you look like a tomato in a lettuce wrap, so to speak. Watch out for some purples as well. I've found my light pink tones don't look good near many purples and browns built on purple.

· Registered
50 Posts
You may want to take a look at the very good blog "A Gentleman's Standard"

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos, that makes things a lot simpler and clearer. Going back to your hypothetical blue blazer, I need to revise my previous suggestions. Because of the pink tones in your skin, I'd avoid pink and red also.

The pink in your complexion should make wearing pastels easier for you than some men. I can see you in pastel blues, yellows and greens. Any of those should be a good pairing with a navy blazer, though green has to be handled carefully with navy IMO. White is a pretty good bet too. Another is peach, as long as it's a soft pastel. And also because of your pink tones, I'd be careful about wearing dress shirts that have too bright a color as it might offer too much contrast with your skin tones.

A note about skin tones is they change as we age. You're a young man, but you may find that 20 years from now colors that looked good are no longer as flattering, but perhaps other colors now are. As a young man I had fairly dark olive skin. But it has grown both lighter and more ruddy. (Attributable to an aging circulatory system? :icon_smile_big:)

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The shirt that I am wearing in the picture above is white and green houndstooth but looks green. I hardly wear pastel colors as I don't like them. The only pastels I think I could stomach are pink and blue. I will probably try out some of the colors suggested in this thread. Thanks, everyone!

· Registered
219 Posts
right colors

After several sessions of my wife telling me this, that and the other color look bad on you, I decided to take matters into my own hands. It really is all about which "season" you fall under. There are several books out there that cover the subject. Some better than others. Some overly complex, and others very simple. Bottom line, if you really want to get it right, take the time to study the matter. As an example: It is not sufficient to say that a particular person looks good in red. Once you lay color swatches side by side, one quickly realizes there are many versions of "red." To the left of true red, the color changes with the addition of the cooler blue; To the right of true red, the color becomes warmer, with the addition of yellow. It really is worth your study. Once you figure it out, and begin to acquire clothing that matches your personal season, based on hair color, eye color and skin tone, it will be easy to mix and match, because all garments will have the correct color, tone & shade. The right colors will make your face look healthy and alive. The wrong colors, tones and shades will make your face look sallow and sick. Expensive or discount, the clothing will cost you the same. The right colors will be worth the money. The wrong colors will be a waste.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.