Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I've never used the CG1, but I have the CP6 cashmere brush and use it on all my tweeds. I can report that it's very effective, and doesn't abrade the tweed. My concern would be that too stiff a brush might do so.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never used the CG1, but I have the CP6 cashmere brush and use it on all my tweeds. I can report that it's very effective, and doesn't abrade the tweed. My concern would be that too stiff a brush might do so.
I brushed my Overcoat for the first time last night and was concerned that the CG1 was too stiff. Thanks for the feedback on the CP6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I brushed my Overcoat for the first time last night and was concerned that the CG1 was too stiff. Thanks for the feedback on the CP6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Different tweeds can each be very different. Some tweed is softer and more loosely woven. Other tweeds are very hard and couldn't be damaged with a hacksaw. Obviously, the softer, looser tweed would benefit from a gentler brush. The CG1 may be fine, but not being familiar with it, or your tweed, I can't say.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here is an excerpt from Stanley Ager former butler to the second and third Lords St. Levan in his book The Butler's Guide to Clothes Care, Managing the Table, Running the Home & Other Graces

"
Wool is stout and needs especially strong treatment. We used to brush tweed with a special stiff brush called a dandy brush, which had long straw bristles. I don't believe this type of brush is available anymore, but brushing vigorously up and down the nap with a regular clothes brush is just as effective a way to remove dust from tweed."

Though I imagine many tweeds are much finer nowadays, most are certainly considerably lighter. Would that necessitate a cashmere brush I can not say but any tweed I will get will get brushed with a Kent CG1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.