Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I concur with the recommendations for Kent brushes. Perhaps 20 years ago I purchased a Kent brush named something like The Cashmere Brush. Unlike many of theirs, the handle was Lucite or some form of plastic. Nice enough looking, but I didn't buy it for looks. It has natural bristles consisting of two types: a softer light colored bristle that surrounds an inner core of firmer dark colored bristles. I don't know if the name implied that it could be used on cashmere since my primary motivation was it being on sale for ½ price, but it has proven to be a marvelous all-purpose clothes brush on everything from soft alpaca, woolens and tweeds to hard finished worsteds.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Please help out a newcomer who has never used a clothes brush. What does this achieve when used? What articles of clothing benefit from being brushed?
I do it for cleaning purposes (i.e. to brush out dust and other small particles) and to help get rid of creases. I tend to focus on suits, wool trousers and waistcoats.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Please help out a newcomer who has never used a clothes brush. What does this achieve when used? What articles of clothing benefit from being brushed?
A standard clothing brush will clean the garment by removing dust, link, hair etc, but unlike one of those sticky rollers, it wont leave any residue on your clothing.

It also serves to sort of fluff or lift and perk up the pile of the material...making it last longer and look better.

I brush suit jackets and sport coats, trousers, top coats - basically anything that has a bit of strength to the material and that you should not dry clean too often.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
i just picked up a horse hair brush from j&m
i think its technically for shoes, but would a horse hair brush (not too firm not to soft) be okay for brushing clothes?
It may well be fine, but why chance it? For $20 dollars, you are better off getting a brush that is intended for clothes, rather than ruining a nice sport coat with a horse hair brush.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.