Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman,

Perhaps someone can assist, here.

Is there a black with white chalk-stripe cloth heavier than 13-14 ozs?

The heaviest I've found (from Scabal - Royal Wainminster, no 580513) is 13-14 ozs.

Suppliers from any country, ideally with web site examples.

Can attachments be posted? This may simplify matters.

Thank you for your time.

Grant (England).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
What kind of material are you looking for? Flannel? Harrisons of Edinburgh make flannel up to abot 17.5oz. Dunno if they make a black chalktripe. That's probably not all that common. Dark charcoal much more likely. H lesser's stripes collection runs around 14-15oz iirc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Cary,

The sample I have gives the weave as a 'Twill', if that helps.

This pattern is pretty common in the UK but it is the weight which is causing the uncertainty. I was measured a while ago for a suit but I'm convinced the cloths offered were lighter than one of my existing (navy, chalk-stripe) suits.

Grant.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Cary,

"trend"? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Grant.
Of myself? No. Just of the public who prefers lighter an lighter. And I guess, not ashamed, but don't care so much. I saw new Edinburgh cloth samples last week that were probably around 8oz but had much more strength and resistance to wrinkling than any of the 120's and above. They were very expensive per meter but I guess if you can have lightness and ease plus high strength- the public will be happy.

And this is not a recent fad/trend. The gradual lightening of cloths has been going on for 50 years...

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Of myself? No. Just of the public who prefers lighter an lighter. And I guess, not ashamed, but don't care so much. I saw new Edinburgh cloth samples last week that were probably around 8oz but had much more strength and resistance to wrinkling than any of the 120's and above. They were very expensive per meter but I guess if you can have lightness and ease plus high strength- the public will be happy.

And this is not a recent fad/trend. The gradual lightening of cloths has been going on for 50 years...
Strong and light? Nice. That would be perfect for Florida during most of the seasons. What grade was it?

That said, I generally prefer the look of 10 oz fabrics and higher. They have much better drape.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It matches the weight you have found already but Dugdales run a range called and i quote

"ENGLISH CLASSICS & TOWN CLASSICS
True to our heritage, these fine worsted fabrics could not be any more English. We have been producing this cloth for over 50 years and the range still remains one of our most popular. Slight re-working of our finishing routines has allowed us to produce a smoother handle to the cloth without compromising it's fullness. A robust cloth and a design classic.

Town Classics is a full milled version of English Classics, affording warmth and density. A cloth with real integrity and inspired by our heritage.

BUNCH NUMBER 134a. CLOTH NUMBERS 9400-9471 400/435 GMS 13/14 OZS"

I think its a range of cloth worth looking at!

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
They really are passionate about being English! :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Gentleman,

Perhaps someone can assist, here.

Is there a black with white chalk-stripe cloth heavier than 13-14 ozs?

The heaviest I've found (from Scabal - Royal Wainminster, no 580513) is 13-14 ozs.

Suppliers from any country, ideally with web site examples.

Can attachments be posted? This may simplify matters.

Thank you for your time.

Grant (England).
Try H. Lesser. I have a charcoal with chalk stripe (I am pretty sure there is a darker version) and a black (or almost black) with pinstripe, from the same book in 16 oz. The reference numbers start with 296XX (29670 and 29680). H. Lesser's website does not show more than 5 or 6 cloths, pretty useless; you must go to a tailor.

I think the whole book is 16 oz., so you should be able to find something you like.

I hope this helps.

Frog in Suit

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Try H. Lesser. I have a charcoal with chalk stripe (I am pretty sure there is a darker version) and a black (or almost black) with pinstripe, from the same book in 16 oz. The reference numbers start with 296XX (29670 and 29680). H. Lesser's website does not show more than 5 or 6 cloths, pretty useless; you must go to a tailor.

I think the whole book is 16 oz., so you should be able to find something you like.

I hope this helps.

Frog in Suit
Some questions regarding the H. Lesser & Sons 16-ounce book:

What do you mean by two versions of charcoal with chalkstripes Are there two fabrics that are charcoal with chalkstripes? Perhaps there is charcoal and darker charcoal (both of which are super dark, of course)? If so, is one charcoal fabric barely able to be distinguished from black? And, if so, is the other charcoal fabric able to be distinguished from black by a relatively small amount?

Also, what color (with what amount of spacing between each chalkstripe) is the chalkstripes on these two versions of the fabric that is charcoal with chalkstripes? And, what color (with what amount of spacing between each pinstripe) are the pinstripes on the black fabric?

BTW, you are absolutely right about the H. Lesser & Sons website being useless.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts

Thanks to Sator (yes, this is 100% a compliment, Sator; thank you dearly and sincerely again! :)), I am going to swear on fabrics that are a minimum of 14, 15 or 16-ounces (I forget which one of these fabric weights is now Sator's sworn minimum) from here on in. Apparently, more and more customers are asking for heavyweight fabrics like crazy.

Just like Sator has clearly pointed out many, many, many times, lets say, for example, there are 300 heavyweight fabrics that are great for November through April (Northern hemisphere) or May through October (Southern hemisphere) and horrible for May through October (Northern hemisphere) or November through April (Southern hemisphere).

If that is the case, then there are 300 heavyweight fabrics that are great for May through October (Northern hemisphere) or November through April (Southern hemisphere) and horrible for November through April (Northern hemisphere) or May through October (Southern hemisphere).

The number of these heavyweight fabrics was merely an example. I am absolutely not saying that there are 300 of them. Maybe there are 300 of them; maybe there are less or more than 300 of them. I am far from knowing for sure how many of them there are.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
LESSER HAS A COLLECTION OF 16 OUNCE MERINO WORSTED.
Are there any flannels in the H. Lesser & Sons 16-ounce worsted book, Paul?

If so, are the flannels in this book solids only or are there solid, striped and a few other patterned flannels in this book?

Of course, if there are any flannels in the H. Lesser 16-ounce worsted book, there would only be a few or a relative few. As the title suggests, it is obvious that the H. Lesser & Sons 16-ounce worsted book primarily (or entirely) consists of worsted wool fabrics.

All of the fabrics in the H. Lesser & Sons 16-ounce worsted book are obviously 16-ounce fabrics (all of which are 100% wool, FTW).

Some books with worsteds, such as Holland & Sherry's H&S Perennial Collection (both the older version of Book HS274 from the fall of 1994 and the newer version, Book HS507 from the fall of 2007) consist of a few flannels (all of which are solids) but primarily have worsteds.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.