Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to the conclusion that I want to wear suspenders (I can't quite bring myself to call them "braces"). Some of my trousers have the required buttons; many don't. So I could either start sewing, take my trousers to the alterations place and pay a bunch, or buy these:

How would you guys rate these? Tacky? Silly? Do they work well? These would save me time and money, and might, in a sense, be kinda cool. Plus they're Press, so that's on their side.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
My guess is that Press gets them from Thurston. I have never used those, but I would think the long term use of something that clips on would not be good for your trousers.

I had brace ( see, it is easy ) buttons added to a pair of trousers by an alteration tailor in a pricey part of town and the cost was $12.00. All of the others I have had added were at no charge from the store where I buy my clothes. I would think the lady who does sewing at the dry cleaners would be less expensive.

· Registered
1,994 Posts
If you want to save money and are able to sew them well yourself, I'd go that route. Your 'saving time' reasoning is baseless, I think; you've already gone this long without braces, so what's another couple of weeks?

But I'd stay away from these. Just because they're from a reputable seller doesn't mean they're good.

· Registered
464 Posts
Wow. A few of you guys really need to vent your spleens. Angry much?
I fail to see any anger in the posts. Remember that tone of voice, facial expression, etc. don't come across in writing. No one was angry; sarcastic maybe, angry no. :rolleyes: What everyone is trying to say is that the product is an inferior substitute for sewn-in brace buttons. Since real buttons are so easy to have why risk damaging your trousers with the clip-ons? The only reason I can see for having them is in the event you pop a button on your way out the door and you don't have the three minutes it takes to sew it back on. However, if you have your heart set on the clip-ons then by all means get them; you probably won't get much support here.

· Registered
934 Posts
In Paris I bought a pair of suspenders and they came with both buttons and clips. You changed the strap. (The part that attached to the trousers) Never used the clips still in a draw some where. If I were you I would learn to sew the buttons on the trousers. It is really quite easy. When you travel one never knows when a button will break or come off.

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
This makes sense. Otherwise, what's the difference between using clip-on buttons with real braces and using clip-on suspenders?
With clip-on suspenders the absence of the leather straps to hook on to the buttons obviously draws attention to the metal clips whereas with the clip on buttons the presence of the more convential leather straps would have the opposite effect. Compared to clip-on suspenders it looks like it would take a much closer inspection to see that you are using clip-on buttons. Of course I would still prefer the sewn on buttons.

Cruiser

· Registered
1,994 Posts
With clip-on suspenders the absence of the leather straps to hook on to the buttons obviously draws attention to the metal clips whereas with the clip on buttons the presence of the more convential leather straps would have the opposite effect. Compared to clip-on suspenders it looks like it would take a much closer inspection to see that you are using clip-on buttons. Of course I would still prefer the sewn on buttons.

Cruiser
Aesthetically, the clip-on buttons would be preferable to clip-on suspenders. Granted. But in the end, you're still holding up your pants with clips. It's only a short stroll from there to the land of elastic waistbands and flys that close with snaps.

· Registered
464 Posts
Aesthetically, the clip-on buttons would be preferable to clip-on suspenders. Granted. But in the end, you're still holding up your pants with clips. It's only a short stroll from there to the land of elastic waistbands and flys that close with snaps.
And from there drawstrings then... why bother holding them up at all? Walk around with your pants at your knees and your butt hangin' in the breeze like some twelve year old gangsta wannabe. :icon_smile_big:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.