Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first experience with Climacool. It is a polyester fabric with (advertised) superior wicking attributes. (I think it may be Adidas brand, but probably most makers have their own version).

I have always worn a cotton shirt while playing sports, but this new (for me) fabric seems to be able to be lighter when soaked.

What are other members opinions/experiences?

·
Registered
921 Posts
It's an excellent fabric for exercise. I'm a soccer player, and it's been used in soccer gear for many years as well as socks. It has excellent "wicking" abilities and dries quickly, and as you noticed it is also very lightweight.

Cotton does not have the ability to wick away moisture well and maintain it's "loft", especially regarding socks. That's why I recommend that my patients avoid socks with a high cotton content while running/exercising. The cotton becomes damp and flattens out, and actually can become abrasive. The new synthetics have the ability to wick away moisture while still maintaining their "loft" and staying lightweight. This is also true for the newer high quality/finer wool socks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have read that some of these base-layers when worn under a cotton shirt actually keep you cooler than just wearing the shirt which to me is counter-intuitive. I travel occasionally in Africa and Asia for business and would be interested in trying something like this - anything to avoid turning up at meetings with sweaty armpits etc. I can't say that I have made an exhaustive search but I find that every single one seems to have a logo (even a "plain" white one) which would clearly be visible through a normal shirt which I find unacceptable. I typically only browse the rugby section of sports shops. Does anybody know any completely without logos?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Cotton is actually a very good wicking material. The caveat is it 's performance ceiling is somewhere between 10 and 20 degrees. Above those dry conditions it becomes the 'cotton kills' of outdoor rescue personel.

The main drawback of synthetics are the dangers of melting in any accident involving fire. Early versions of polypropylene were notorious offendors of the olfactory senses.

Another option are lightwieght silks from China available in white or navy.

A completely different approach are the cotton fishnets by Brynje of Norway. The mechanical air pockets are both insulators and the fastest wicking system tested so far.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Odor

As a runner, I wouldn't be able to survive without these materials. Climacool is ADIDAS, and I use DryFit by Nike, which is essentially as you said, the same thing.

The one problem with wearing this material whist not working out, is that since it wicks the sweat off your body and keeps you cool, the sweat has to go somewhere, and you wind up (at least I do) stinking to high heaven. I'm also a profuse sweater, and work out for more than 60 minutes at a time, but my wife lets me know how "not pretty" I smell when I get home.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^Ditto on the value of such gear for a runner/jogger. In the course of a two hour cardio session, the wife really appreciates my UnderArmour "Heat Gear"! The wicking ability of the shorts, much to my delight, prevents most of the chaffing! :eek:

PS: I used to wear the shirts under body armour and my son-in-law currently does. Odor control didn't seem to be a problem but, then, that might explain why suspects became so compliant(?)! ;)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I have a couple Climacool shirts I wear for golf and tennnis. I really like them. It gets very humid here in KC in the summer, so the fact they don't cling to you is a big plus. The only thing I don't like about them is that they seem to trap odors as they wick. Has anyone else had that experience?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm a sports retailer and find that my biggest sellers, probably because of the price points are Canterbury, Skins (compression garments and at the top end price wise) followed by Helly Hansen and Spyder...

More so than the adidas, Nike and Asics versions

Incidentally on the cricket front, adidas have now moved into the bat market (I've ordered some) and guess who there first sign-up is? The England skipper himself...just in time for the Stanford 20/20 on Saturday week....Flintoff is also no longer with Woodworm and may well be next.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.