Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been admiring the aforementioned shoes, wondering how I could justify ordering a pair. It occurs to me that they might work with a dinner suit. I have in mind black boots, of course, and either the captoes pictured in the catalog, or plain toed boots. My feeling is that, at least in the US, the captoes would look a bit more formal. But on the other hand (foot), perhaps plain toed button boots would be a more historical choice. And I like plain toed boots.

It sounds a bit over the top, but no more so than my RLPL/Edward Green opera pumps in black calfskin. I really don't enjoy the look, however correct, of patent leather, hence the opera pumps. (I differ with Cruiser about the appropriateness of wearing regular shoes with black tie.)

And besides, then I'd be able to order those wonderful boots.

Any opinions on the footwear black tie combination?

Regards,
Gurdon

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
...And besides, then I'd be able to order those wonderful boots.

Any opinions on the footwear black tie combination?

Regards,
Gurdon
I love the logic expressed in your justification of the (future) purchase and I think the combination could work nicely...given of course, that the boots were plain toe and worn shined to a mirror finish! Those button boots do have a definite appeal to them. ;)

2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all very much

... for the thoughtful commentary. If I had more than a few occasions to wear black tie, I'd go for the boot SATOR suggested. Patent leather looks good in that configuration.

I have a while to consider what I'll do as domestic political considerations (quite realistically grounded in my wife's familiarity with our cash flow) suggest a few months wait prior to another Cleverley order. Although I am leaning towards the plain toe calf as I could wear them with a suit in the evenings. And, I have opera pumps should the boots not work with evening clothes after all.

Your posts helped considerably to clarify my thinking.

Thanks again,
Gurdon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.