Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sorry, I'm into Broadway musicals myself. Of course, Bernstein and Gershwin wrote Broadway musicals and Classical Music.

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Having a favourite in classical music is like reaching for 3 ties when you have 100s of beautifull ones to choose from.
That said, Edvard Grieg is a personal favourite.There is a recent european collection recording a large portion of his work on several CDs. Alas, It is beyond my budget.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having a favourite in classical music is like reaching for 3 ties when you have 100s of beautifull ones to choose from.
That said, Edvard Grieg is a personal favourite.There is a recent european collection recording a large portion of his work on several CDs. Alas, It is beyond my budget.
Well put!I must admit that I know very little of Griegs work,save Wedding Day At Troldhaugen,which ranks as one of my one of my favorite pieces by any composer.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Bach
Mozart
Mahler, a couple of months ago I went out and bought a new 1-10 Symphony cycle but my favourite of them all is the 2nd by Boulez which I got for Fathers Day a couple ofyears ago.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Overall I'd say J.S. Bach. However, I also listen to Mozart, Monteverdi (who is credited with writing the fist opera btw) Vivaldi, and Vaughn Williams. The Baroque period is certainly my favorite.
Every Good Friday a group in Philadelphia does a performance of Bach's B Minor Mass at one of the older churches in the city (they rotate which church each year, but it's always an old one). I never found any other piece of music that equals it. It's just an amazing work.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but if you like choral music, Thomas Tallis's Spem in Alium is another amazing and intricate piece of music.

Not that I have anything against Beethover, Brahms, Mozart, Berlioz, Liszt, Haydn, Handell, Purcell or Chopin, but Bach and Tallis really move me in a way that I isn't quite the same as the others.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Liszt, Chopin and Beethoven.

Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No.2 is my favorite Piano Concerto.

Johannes Brahms and so many others wrote so much increditable music. Writing music is a talent I wish I had.

When a collection of recording is on several CDs, why don't they use DVDs instead?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Hard to select from so many but I must say I never get tired of listening to Schubert and Mendelssohn.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks Terpoxon for the Tallis suggestion, I'll have a listen. Here, in no particular order are a few of my favorite choral works.

William Byrd - Mass for Five Voices , Music for the Feast of Corpus Christi
Henryk Gorecki - (sp) Misere
Morten Lauridsen - Lux Eterna

A quick not e about Vivaldi. While I find some of his concertos to be breathtaking, I've also noticed as I become more familiar with his work that it all sounds so similar. I don't mean the different recordings of course but just his compositions. I know very little about how music is written or performed, but I just seen to hear certain elements and themes the re-occur in so much of his work. I guess this was his way of making sure whenever anyone listens to his music, they will know it was his.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Thanks Terpoxon for the Tallis suggestion, I'll have a listen. Here, in no particular order are a few of my favorite choral works.

William Byrd - Mass for Five Voices , Music for the Feast of Corpus Christi
Henryk Gorecki - (sp) Misere
Morten Lauridsen - Lux Eterna

A quick not e about Vivaldi. While I find some of his concertos to be breathtaking, I've also noticed as I become more familiar with his work that it all sounds so similar. I don't mean the different recordings of course but just his compositions. I know very little about how music is written or performed, but I just seen to hear certain elements and themes the re-occur in so much of his work. I guess this was his way of making sure whenever anyone listens to his music, they will know it was his.
Vivaldi was noted for that.

·
Registered
384 Posts
For those of you who like Baroque, here is a really nice song by Hery Purcell written in 1695. It was written for a dance called the "Hole in the Wall", which is one of the dances that will be taught at the dance mentioned in my suit thread of yesterday.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.