Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Season's almost out for me, but I'm still in the market. I'm looking for a pair of proper British Country shoes. Must be brogued, heavy welt, rubber sole, preferably in dark brown. Commando sole would be great.
The obvious choice is Trickers; Bourton has a Dainite sole but would be great, so would their model with a commando sole (Ilkley?). However, I am hoping to get some for a budget of around $200~.
The Allen Edmonds Tate Wingtip looked interesting. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Or any other shoes of this kind?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
[Q
Season's almost out for me, but I'm still in the market. I'm looking for a pair of proper British Country shoes. Must be brogued, heavy welt, rubber sole, preferably in dark brown. Commando sole would be great.
The obvious choice is Trickers; Bourton has a Dainite sole but would be great, so would their model with a commando sole (Ilkley?). However, I am hoping to get some for a budget of around $200~.
The Allen Edmonds Tate Wingtip looked interesting. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Or any other shoes of this kind?

Thanks!
https://alfredsargent.co.uk/

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I have a preference for Alfred Sargent brogues, but you can't go too far wrong with Tricker's or C&J. I have had one slightly unsatisfactory experience with Tricker's; however, they are almost a byword for this type of shoe. There is also Cheney.

I'm not sure what the current exchange rate is but I think you will have to increase your budget to buy this grade of shoe. Loakes make rather similar shoes at a lower price, so perhaps look at them.

A commando sole is greatly preferable to Dainite for proper country use - Dainite, though fine in the city, offers no grip at all in muddy conditions. On the other hand, commando soles retain the mud. A Ridgway sole is another option to consider.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Two points. First, I recently went through a similar search for a country shoe after reading good reviews about Herring. I found several styles that seemed to fit the description, including the Canning and the Kendal. I ended up trying the Kendal at about $265; customer service was extraordinary, and I had the shoes, in the US, less than 48 hours after ordering them. Sadly, even though they were a G width, they were much too narrow for my EEE's.

I absolutely loved the shoe. Lovely color and grain, Dainite sole, and built much better than some of my more recent AE's. I hated they didn't fit. To me, they represented a great example of a country shoe.

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring/kendal-rubber_rubber-soled-brogues/tan-grain

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/herring/canning-rubber_rubber-soled-brogues/mahogany-calf

Second, I bought the AE Tate in brown grain when the Herrings didn't work. I love AE, but the Tates are not a good substitute for a country shoe. They are very lightweight and have a rubber sole that I suspect would wear out quickly. They are very comfortable, but not my idea of a true country shoe. For that purpose, I now rely on a few AE's in brown grain I've picked up from the Shoe Bank or eBay: First Avenue, Leeds, MacNeil, and Dundees. Also have walnut grain MacNeils. To me, the MacNeils in brown grain come closest to a country shoe. Heck, even the Long Branch in dark brown would be a better country shoe than the Tate IMHO.

Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Much thanks to all who replied! There is some good info here, I will look accordingly.
I am favoring the commando sole more and more as a sole with good grip when it's wet or icy. Dainite is a lot closer to a dress shoe sole than I would like for these.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.