Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here at UNC Chapel Hill the theme this fall for many of the arts events is "Circa 1958" - exploring works by artists such as Jasper Johns and Miles Davis. I will be attending some of these events and was wondering what trad signifiers might play to the theme without being too costume-y - just looking for hints like tie/lapel width, cut, hem and cuff, that sort of thing - any ideas?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
1958!

Sorry, thought you said 1968!!

Nice day my friend.
Is Darryls still happening?
And is it Spankeys on the corner? Next to the old Alexander Julian store?

Have fun my friend.
See you during the basketball season!!
Nice day my friend

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Some 1958ish items

Madras shirt
Jeans with rolled cuffs
Penny loafers with white/cream socks
High water pants (though not as high or as tapered as later)
Narrow tie (3")
Plaid sport coat

Beyond that you could wear Levis, a white crewneck T, a leather jacket and tell people to "Sit on it".

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
There should be an abundance of photos of the UNC 1957 basketball year available. Authenticity found in crowd pics.

Poke around the photo archives linked at the bottom of this page...

Seriously doubt that the typical UNC student would have been aware of Johns & Davis. Billy Ward and The Dominoes yes, Miles Davis no. Norman Rockwell, maybe. UNC circa '58 wasn't BeeBopville, maaaan. Porkpie hats sparse on the grounds. Blatant re-visionism if that's the way it's being portrayed in the arts events. (curmudgeon?, fogey?, moi?)

UNC students supposedly invented the sock-less WeeJun look in the early to mid '50s.
Korean war veterans on the G-I Bill would have been prone to wearing GI issue khaki trous. Non GI students would have been influenced to wear same from an Army/Navy store. Or Corbin/Berle trous. 'Course the few obviously commie boho beatnik "free thinkers" woulda been in dirty jeans, etc.
M51 (hint: M*A*S*H)
OCBD Carolina blue shirt with an Old Well emblematic tie from Julian's, or his brother-competitor Milton's. Or beer mug emblematic.
Leather tabbed simple striped surcingle belt with bridle type buckle.
An inexpensive "beater" navy hopsack sack blazer from a collegiate oriented shop back home. You'd had it since 16.
The London Fog version, in oyster, of a Baracuta.
Solid crew Shetland sweater.
Frat or pledge pin if you had 1.
Might have gotten pretentious and smoked a pipe, imported tabac.
Sound familiar?

(Fonzie didn't matriculate in "The Land Of The Pinus Palustris".)

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have such fond memories of Chapel Hill. Went to 4th grade at St Thomas Moore while the old man was in the central highlands. That was '66 and '67.

Check out this link of pics from the '58 Newport Jazz Festival...

https://flickr.com/photos/mkwilliams/sets/72157606861175780/

They were posted by Michael Williams of A Continuous Lean.

For ease and understatement I think Sen LOOgar hit the nail on the head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.