Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a time when a cigarette case and a cigarette lighter were two essential accessories for a gentleman. Social conventions have changed, particularly as they relate to smoking. I gave up smoking long ago. For a while, I continued to carry a lighter. But no longer. My lighters and cases have rested in a drawer for a very long time now. Are lighters no longer a part of a gentleman's wardrobe? What about you? Do you carry a lighter? If so, what kind?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
No

I also stopped smoking a few years back.
I never got into expensive lighters.
I used to carry a zippo.
Plain stainless steel made in the USA.
Very simple.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Matches. Particularly in a bar situation. A man never wants to be w/o a little fire if a lady asks for a light.
+1
Very nice.
Very subtle.;)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Matches. Particularly in a bar situation. A man never wants to be w/o a little fire if a lady asks for a light.
you mean as you both stand outdoors 15 feet from the entrance.

I have never smoked (well the occasional pipe and a social Lucky or two) so have never carried a lighter. Lately I crave a nice, elegant, Dunhill in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I don't smoke but I still carry a lighter because my friends/family smoke and it's a courtesy for them. Plus, I'm always asked if I have a light so I make sure to have one everywhere I go. I carry a vintage (1960s) Cartier lighter, stainless steel with 18kt yellow gold screws for detail. If you're familiar with Cartier designs then you probably know what I mean. It's a stunning piece, well made and still functional.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Nothing beats a classic Zippo. My Dad doesn't smoke anymore but I can still hear the sound of that lighter flipping open, and then shut. Certainly made smoking cool.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I stopped smoking cigarettes years ago but still smoke cigars, so I still have a few Dunhill Unique lighters. I prefer to have my cigars at home rather than when I am out and about. That said, I tend to carry a lighter when I know I will end up in a smoky room somewhere for the reason others have said, to extend a courtesy light to others. I usually take the only gas version I have unless I know that it will be outdoors, in which case I will take one of the petrol ones -- not much logic to this however.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If a lady asks me for a light, then she is not someone I am interested in getting to know. Ever tried kissing someone who smokes? It's disgusting.

Thank god the bars and restuarants here went smoke free a year ago.

Sorry. I am very anti-smoking.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
A custom silver lighter with Zippo guts

On our wedding day, my bride gave me a silver lighter that her father had gotten when he was flying for the Army in Viet Nam. The lighter is from Thailand, and has Budhist carivngs on both the sides. Neither of us smoke cigarettes, but I carry the lighter, and have found it to be a wonderful tool.

·
Registered
934 Posts
My gold Dunhill lighter sits in my drawer along side my leather covered gold cigarette case. Do you remember that the tail coat tails had a pocket for the cigarette case. My dunhill pipes and humidor sit in my den. I will return to smoking when they tell me that I am dying. I even have my old snuff boxes from "Fribourg & Trayer". That was a great London tobaconist with bow windows on either side of the entrance way.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
you mean as you both stand outdoors 15 feet from the entrance.

I have never smoked (well the occasional pipe and a social Lucky or two) so have never carried a lighter. Lately I crave a nice, elegant, Dunhill in my pocket.
I occasionally indulged in a cigar when I was in exile. I have not since returning. I have an old Dunhill shagreen lighter that could never hold a refill long but which is gloriously beautiful. Might never use it again.
My gold Dunhill lighter sits in my drawer along side my leather covered gold cigarette case. Do you remember that the tail coat tails had a pocket for the cigarette case. My dunhill pipes and humidor sit in my den. I will return to smoking when they tell me that I am dying. I even have my old snuff boxes from "Fribourg & Trayer". That was a great London tobaconist with bow windows on either side of the entrance way.
Now it's a tacky souvenir shop if I remember correctly from a drive down the Haymarket... The snuffboxes come up for sale on ebay occasionally.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I don't smoke cigarettes, but I always carry a lighter when at parties for the ladies or for my own & colleagues cigars. You'd be surprised what a positive response am acknowledged non-smoker gets when he whips out a lighter to light a woman's cigarette.
One of the marks of a gentleman is that he, even in opposition to his own habits or beliefs, is ready to accommodate the needs of another person.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.