Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I have looked at the 'seconds and sale' section for Church's on the website for size 6 with G width.

The Highgrove are on sale for £225, this is because the Diplomat has replaced the shoe and not a quality issue.
Herring are selling Diplomat's that are slight seconds for £195. With the slight seconds, there is a quality issue but not a lot; you could wear them for general wear rather then work and evenings out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Highgrove are on sale for £225, this is because the Diplomat has replaced the shoe and not a quality issue.
Granted. Though both are on the 173 last and, from the pictures, the brogueing is exactly the same. So is Church replacing a shoe with exactly the same thing? If so, you get the same shoe for 225 instead of 315...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Granted. Though both are on the 173 last and, from the pictures, the brogueing is exactly the same. So is Church replacing a shoe with exactly the same thing? If so, you get the same shoe for 225 instead of 315...
There are differences, but slight differences, which you cannot really tell by the pictures.

I would go for the £225 pair every time.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Straightforward

Church's trailed the 173 last on at least four models - Highgrove, Sandringham, Osbourne and a monk like Westbury whose name I've forgotten. These are all , in pattern and style just like Diplomat, Chetwynd , Westbury etc but they were on the 100 last

Once the 173 last became the default last the temporary names were dropped and the better known names took over. So for example, the Diplomat on the 173 last was known as Highgrove but now the 100 last has been scrapped it is the Diplomat which is on the 173 last - phew!

Church's have always done this and it is nothing new - hence Perth is the Diplomat on the 73 last and Consul was always known as Balmoral in the 73 last days. Sometimes Church's change the model name only if there is a minor difference like a rubber heel top piece.

Herrings are selling off the shoes with the redundant model names and it is an excellent opportunity to get a Diplomat for £225 - I did! I bought Highgrove in brown and wished they had it in tobacco or Osbourne in tabacco. I already have Sandringham in three colours. One thing is better on this range - the inside edge of the sole is bevelled - not the case on the main model range and the sole is nicely painted. Buy it - you know you want it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.