Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you gents have any owner/personal photos of Church's 81 Last? That is, non-catalog type photos.

I'm interested in the Burwood (81), but not if it's as clunky as the odious 100.

Thanks in advance from an old 73 fan.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
No I don't but I do have Burwood. The 81 last is a long-standing Church's last like the 73. It is nowhere near as elegant as the 73 last but it is not meant to be. It is a roomy casual last and suits the shoes it is used on - namely Burwood, some Ketsbys were made on this last. If you search for "Ketsby" you'll find that Rossini has a picture of this boot in a photo of his collection - it will give you an idea. Also the Ryder boot is made on this last. www.herringshoes.co.uk have pictures ( non catalogue) of Burwood and Ryder for you to look at - I think this will help too.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Trust LM to remember- well done! I had forgotten completely when I read the post first. It may not come across in the picture so I'll elaborate a little. LM is right - a roomy casual last - and I think what Herrings suggest on their site - a roomy toe shape - also sums up this last. It's going to work ok on a boot, especially with distracting broguing and a lighter colour, but it might be a tad agricultural on a shoe (in the same way that some Tricker's lasts are perhaps) - depending of course on what you want from the shoe and what your foot shape is like of course.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Trust LM to remember- well done! I had forgotten completely when I read the post first. It may not come across in the picture so I'll elaborate a little. LM is right - a roomy casual last - and I think what Herrings suggest on their site - a roomy toe shape - also sums up this last. It's going to work ok on a boot, especially with distracting broguing and a lighter colour, but it might be a tad agricultural on a shoe (in the same way that some Tricker's lasts are perhaps) - depending of course on what you want from the shoe and what your foot shape is like of course.
What a comfort! At least I am not going senile quite yet:icon_smile_big:

I concur entirely with Rossini's description

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LM and Rossini: superb info (as usual). Don't think the Burwood is for me... I was looking for a wing-tip bal that was a little darker than the chestnut Brisbane. I reckon sticking w/ it is probably best after all.

Thanks, A.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
LM and Rossini: superb info (as usual). Don't think the Burwood is for me... I was looking for a wing-tip bal that was a little darker than the chestnut Brisbane. I reckon sticking w/ it is probably best after all.

Thanks, A.
Have you thought about Chetwynd on the new 173 last? This last avoids the bulbous toe ( I never minded it that much) of the 100 last and is an elegant last ( I have four pairs on the 173 last). It was brought in to make up for the mistake of abandoning the 73 last.

If you did go for the Chetwynd then you have the option of dark brown.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Leather man said:
Have you thought about Chetwynd on the new 173 last? This last avoids the bulbous toe ( I never minded it that much) of the 100 last and is an elegant last ( I have four pairs on the 173 last). It was brought in to make up for the mistake of abandoning the 73 last.
Can anyone comment on the 73 versus 173 issue? Is the fit the same, for all intents and purposes?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Can anyone comment on the 73 versus 173 issue? Is the fit the same, for all intents and purposes?
No. The instep on the 73 last is relatively low. On the 173 last the instep is relatively high. For those of us who liked the look of the 73 last but didn't like the fit due to moderately high to high insteps the 173 last is a welcome addition to the Church's line up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.