Men's Clothing Forums banner

Chukka vs Chelsea vs Jodhpur Casual Boots

10K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Hebrew Barrister 
#1 ·
I need a pair of casual boots to wear with khakis on the weekends. Which would you recommend:

Jodhpur:

Chelsea:

Chukka:

#6 ·
I would also select the chukka.

I don't really care for the looks of Chelsea boots, in no small measure because for me they will always remain associated with '70's fashion, which I dislike.

I've always been fascinated with Jodhpur boots and had been thinking of adding a pair to my rotation. While I had previously read an opinion that they should be confined to equestrian wear, I'd find them very suitable for any dressier casual wear.

But I recently read a remark by a wearer that has made me rethink my interest. Specifically they said to effect that they look better off than on, and they found that the normal break at the vamp below the instep caused the upper to bow outward and affected fit as well as appearance, unlike a chukka which is laced over the instep.

I have no experience as to the validity of that report, but have no reason to doubt it either. So for that reason alone I would hesitate to recommend them.

My most recent addition has been a pair of Cheaney chukkas (Below.) and I've been very pleased with all aspects of them.

#9 ·
Perhaps it's just me or the shape of my leg, but I've never really been able to wear Jodhpurs. I love the way they look, but when I put them on, the uppers flare out too much, pushing out against the material of my slacks. Eventually, they ride up and get caught up at the top of the boot.

#18 ·
Having all three designs on my shoe racks, my preferences are as follows:

*In terms of convenience of use; Chealseas, Chukkas and Jodhours.
*In terms of of versatility of style; Chukkas, Chelseas and Jodhpurs.
* And in terms of frequency of use; Chukkas, Chelseas and Jodhpurs.

Bottom line, all three designs are must haves, but it seems the Jodhpurs see the least amount of wear. :icon_scratch:

#20 ·
I have a pair of J Fitzpatrick Genesee jodhpurs. I really like them but I don't intend to buy any more. I have a couple of pairs of chukkas that I like, but, again, I don't intend to buy any more. I have 3 pairs of chelsea boots and am always on the lookout for more.

#21 ·
Unless you already own suitable chukkas for this purpose and are simply looking for something different, chukka is the only answer. Far more versatile than chelsea or jodphur.

In terms of what shoes a man should own, a nice pair of brown chukkas is second only to black capped toe oxfords, and depending on your career, may actually rank first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.