Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
My preference for a chukka boot, would be a dainite sole. IMHO, it compliments the design of the shoe/boot and provides more secure footing for those occasions on which such is necessary.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Why Chukka Boots?

What is the rationale behind Chukka boots? How did they evolve?

I know they were worn on ship in the Navy because they could easily and quickly be unlaced and kicked off if you found yourself in the drink. At lease that's what they told us!

While they can look sharp (nice lines), they provide less support than a lace-up shoe, considerably less support and protection than even a half boot, and your trouser cuffs get hung up on the looseness of the Chukka around the ankle. I wore them a lot 25-some years ago, but not much since then.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
hello to everyone, what kind of sole do you think fits better a chuka boot, dainite or leather sole? what would be more proper?

thanks for your help
I don't think either is more proper, but rather that it is a matter of personal preference. My preference would most often would be Dainite, as I find a rubber sole preferable for wet conditions, and I also think it looks a bit sportier. As it happens, I'm wearing dark brown suede chukkas as I type this, and they have welted Vibram rubber soles.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
What is the rationale behind Chukka boots? How did they evolve?

I know they were worn on ship in the Navy because they could easily and quickly be unlaced and kicked off if you found yourself in the drink. At lease that's what they told us!

While they can look sharp (nice lines), they provide less support than a lace-up shoe, considerably less support and protection than even a half boot, and your trouser cuffs get hung up on the looseness of the Chukka around the ankle. I wore them a lot 25-some years ago, but not much since then.
Funny, in the Air Force they told us it was because they were easiest to remove and don in bordellos! ;)

But seriously, they were the only wearable footwear issued to me. The cut of chukkas can vary. The ones I'm wearing now fit my ankles with only a couple of finger tips worth of room to spare. (Though I do have rather large ankles.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.