Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a pair of Oxfords/Derbies to wear with jeans and khakis. I found these three.

Valesca for $200:

Carlos santos for $325:

AE second for $250:

I know they look very different from each other. The leather on the Velasca doesn't look so good and what are those white spots? In terms of quality I have no doubt CS is the best (and if I wait for the after Xmass sale I can get it cheaper) but in terms of comfort I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I have no particular brand to recommend. I will just give you some general advice: Don’t wear shiny, dressy shoes with jeans. There would be too much of a contrast between the casual nature of the jeans and the refinement of the shoe.

In fact, dressy shoes would not work with rugged khakis, either, though they would pair up pretty well with cotton gabardine chinos.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I will just give you some general advice: Don't wear shiny, dressy shoes with jeans. There would be too much of a contrast between the casual nature of the jeans and the refinement of the shoe.

In fact, dressy shoes would not work with rugged khakis, either, though they would pair up pretty well with cotton gabardine chinos.
+1.

This has become a naif I-gent fashion theme.

When I was a little boy I used to wear such shoes with dungarees. But then I grew up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1.

This has become a naif I-gent fashion theme.

When I was a little boy I used to wear such shoes with dungarees. But then I grew up.
I won't start a new thread and just ask the wisdom of the forum here. What are the "casually dressy" trousers options out there? Something that would look good with a dressy-ish pair of shoes but still not very formal.

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
I won't start a new thread and just ask the wisdom of the forum here. What are the "casually dressy" trousers options out there? Something that would look good with a dressy-ish pair of shoes but still not very formal.
Moleskin or corduroy or gabardine chinos I suppose.

Although piggybacking off the new derailed discussion, I find it hard to find appropriate ultra casual shoes aside from suede. Calf just looks so appealing.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Casually-dressy is a little uncertain of a term. But, IMO, considering the 3 different pairs of shoes above, I would included:

1. Wool odd trousers.

2. Corduroy.

3. Moleskin.

4. More finely tailored cotton twill, including some khakis.

I would pair the first pair of shoes with 1,2, and 3, provided the wool pants are of a heavier weight. The second pair with any of them. And the last pair with #1, as they're dress shoes.

The reason I wouldn't pair the Valesca shoe with the cotton twill as it is a particularly robust and heavily built shoe, and the pants will not share that aesthetic.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Moleskin or corduroy or gabardine chinos I suppose.

Although piggybacking off the new derailed discussion, I find it hard to find appropriate ultra casual shoes aside from suede. Calf just looks so appealing.
While the above could be worn with more robust tailored clothing, by virtue of being a derby/blucher, its last, and the extended storm welt, I certainly would consider this shoe less dressy, and entirely appropriate for wear with more casual slacks.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
There is a spectrum of the dressiness of jeans and chinos. Despite the type of pants some can be inherently dressier based on fabric, fit and finish and may do ok with some of the shoes shown. Nonetheless, I probably would avoid wearing the AE shoe with jeans or chinos.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I recently found a good pair of AE shoes for jeans and chinos. The Tate Wingtip Grain.

I got a pair of these in brown and they are now my favorite shoes to wear when I'm going casual. I wear them with jeans and chinos all the time. For me they were the perfect mix of looking nice, but not being too dressy.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Do you think that Black Cap Toe Oxfords are gonna be way too smart if paired with gabardine chinos shirt and blazer? Or are they gonna raise the level of formality without clashing?
That's a good question!

I am rather reluctant to offer too firm an opinion because the nuances of the semantics of dress tend to differ both by country and region, and I'm certainly not conversant with current custom in Italy.

But in my opinion while not an ideal choice, they might be acceptable, particularly if the detail of the styling of the oxford was less formal/dressy than it might be I.e., any of a more casual last shape, thicker sole, grained leather or the addition of broguing. And the trousers finely tailored. I know many/most might find a tan gabardine and black shoe pairing jarring, but black and tan can actually look rather smart together, and a navy blazer can help marry them. (I know most hate black sport jackets, but this would be an instance where a black flannel or corduroy jacket could be worn to good effect with such shoes.)

If this is a more common pairing in your part of Italy, I think it could be carried off smartly if you have a good eye. But you must judge the circumstances for yourself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's a good question!

I am rather reluctant to offer too firm an opinion because the nuances of the semantics of dress tend to differ both by country and region, and I'm certainly not conversant with current custom in Italy.
CUT
Thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately, the idea you fellow Americans may have about Italian people being worthy as style models is a bit old fashioned. Especially at my young age (23).
I've been keeping the cap toe black shiny oxfords as a fixed point since my original idea for a wardrobe, but since i changed it a lot untill now (cut out Tuxedo and full suits) maybe it's time to take a different path.
I'm planning to use them with Navy blazer and chinos in medium grey, medium brown and beije. I don't like wool trousers nor courdoroy.

I'm willing to go half broguing (without the holes in the point) like the Carlos Santos in the picture but with regular leather, but i'm afraid it will be too much of an "ossymore" (most formal shoe type with lots of broguing). The Allen Edmond solutions (ofc with black leather in my case) maybe be the right choice.

About the opening post: I'm quite surprised you know Velasca, even more abot the fact you can actually purchase them in the US. They're nicely made, you can have them with nice discounts here in Italy (10% on your first purchase + I always recieved few more buck of discout in the phisic shops in Milan). There are certainly better shoes out there, but i know sever people who are satisfied of the products (myself included)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply!
Unfortunately, the idea you fellow Americans may have about Italian people being worthy as style models is a bit old fashioned. Especially at my young age (23).
I've been keeping the cap toe black shiny oxfords as a fixed point since my original idea for a wardrobe, but since i changed it a lot untill now (cut out Tuxedo and full suits) maybe it's time to take a different path.
I'm planning to use them with Navy blazer and chinos in medium grey, medium brown and beije. I don't like wool trousers nor courdoroy.

I'm willing to go half broguing (without the holes in the point) like the Carlos Santos in the picture but with regular leather, but i'm afraid it will be too much of an "ossymore" (most formal shoe type with lots of broguing). The Allen Edmond solutions (ofc with black leather in my case) maybe be the right choice.

About the opening post: I'm quite surprised you know Velasca, even more abot the fact you can actually purchase them in the US. They're nicely made, you can have them with nice discounts here in Italy (10% on your first purchase + I always recieved few more buck of discout in the phisic shops in Milan). There are certainly better shoes out there, but i know sever people who are satisfied of the products (myself included)
Good that you mentioned this. How do you comment on Velasca's durability and comfort?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Goo that you mentioned this. How do you comment on Velasca's durability and comfort?
I haven't owned a lot of Velasca shoes (actually 2,one of which is a sneaker) or a lot of shoes in general tbh. They're "honest" shoes, I've the black Oxford, At 160 € is a nice purchase. I found them quite comfortable from the beginning (ofc they're not sneakers) and didn't have any issue (I had few on their sneakers).
It really depends on your budget, if you are an enthusiast I would maybe recommend to pay a little more and get something better (I can't compare them to Carlos Santos or Allen Edmonds) cause if you search a bit, I think with a few dozen bucks more you can step up.
If you wanna buy a pair of shoes "for fun" to enlarge your collection and you don't want to spend too much money it's a good brand. As far as I can tell, better then Mermin and not that far from Santoni to justify the price difference.
Still surprised you have found them, several people had issues here in Italy cause they don't produce a lot and the availability is not great at all (they are a dropshipping company that's how they can offer a good value for money to the final customer)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.