Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Esquire and GQ recommend that ones topcoat end just above the knee. Those more inclined to be traditional in style, seem to prefer mid-calf length. What is available in the southeast varies greatly in style, price, and quality.

Today, I bought an Adolfo black cashmere that was just above mid-calf in length. After shopping around more, I tried on a Polo covert cloth chesterfield type coat. It was just below knee length and well priced at $550 on sale, but its fused construction put me off. At the end of my shopping day, I decided to return the Adolfo.

I have decided I want a coat that is tailored and is a quality made garment, yet might be available at a sale price of less than $1,000. I am 6' 1'' and weigh 178 lbs, and usually wear a 42L suit. I can wear a coat with some waist supression. Hickey-Freeman has their topcoats on sale. The Chesterfield, and the charcoal cashmere styles are available only in regular. I have tried on their cashmere topcoat in regular and the sleeves are too short, yet the coat's body extends below my knee. Their long seems to be almost too long.

I am open to any suggested brands that offer quality construction (think canvassed, not fused) and offer a fit that isn't boxy. Examples that don't meet the criteria are HSM, Nordstrom, Kenneth Cole, Lauren, Cardinal of Canada, Adolfo, Polo.

Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Esquire and GQ recommend that ones topcoat end just above the knee. Those more inclined to be traditional in style, seem to prefer mid-calf length. What is available in the southeast varies greatly in style, price, and quality.

Today, I bought an Adolfo black cashmere that was just above mid-calf in length. After shopping around more, I tried on a Polo covert cloth chesterfield type coat. It was just below knee length and well priced at $550 on sale, but its fused construction put me off. At the end of my shopping day, I decided to return the Adolfo.

I have decided I want a coat that is tailored and is a quality made garment, yet might be available at a sale price of less than $1,000. I am 6' 1'' and weigh 178 lbs, and usually wear a 42L suit. I can wear a coat with some waist supression. Hickey-Freeman has their topcoats on sale. The Chesterfield, and the charcoal cashmere styles are available only in regular. I have tried on their cashmere topcoat in regular and the sleeves are too short, yet the coat's body extends below my knee. Their long seems to be almost too long.

I am open to any suggested brands that offer quality construction (think canvassed, not fused) and offer a fit that isn't boxy. Examples that don't meet the criteria are HSM, Nordstrom, Kenneth Cole, Lauren, Cardinal of Canada, Adolfo, Polo.

Any other recommendations?
We are in the same situation, Beau.

After a replacing a navy blue wool-cashmere, traditional-cut, top-coat, which lasted two winters and only cost me $100 at Joseph A. Banks, I replaced it with a camel-colored Lauren by Ralph Lauren top-coat late last winter that I found heavily marked downed at a department store.

I was never happy with this jacket, as it really only looks good with jeans or slacks. I just don't like the look of it with more formal attire.

I have been trying to find a navy, traditional-cut coat for about a month without much luck. It seems most coats this season are in black, charcoal or some shade of brown. And the only navy blue jackets out there seem to be the covert Chesterfield types, which don't appeal to my taste.

I was hoping to find a British-styled coat -- complete with a velvet collar or ticket pocket -- but haven't had any luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would look into having the Hickey Freeman 42L shortened a few inches. For what its worth, most men wear their overcoats too short in my opinion. I have a Hickey Freeman black cashmere overcoat. It is either a 42L or 44L and reaches to my midcalfs. (I am 6' 0''; medium build). I like it just the way it is.

·
Registered
210 Posts
1) I wouldn't worry about fusing in a top coat. I am not quite sure what canvas adds if at all.
2) I have seen many coats on the market, but the tall sized ones are quite rare.
3) My complain is that most coats are boxy cut. I am 6'4" and most make me look as wide as I am tall.
4) Length - it's a matter of preference. Forget the advice from the magazine - think how and where are you going to wear it. The longer ones are more elegant and warm, but if you commute and/or frequently put them on and off, they become impractical. I personally prefer a mid calf length for more elegant attire and a 3/4 length for most most everyday use. (Don't care for above the knee cut)...
5) Looked in many places, but could not find one at a reasonable price that fits me well enough and was considering of taking the MTM route.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your responses. Hockeyinsider, Polo makes a navy topcoat with a velvet collar and a ticket pocket, too. The fabric is gaberdine, a heavy diagonal wool twill. My beef with this Corneliani made coat is it has fusing. I once owned a Cardinal of Canada cape-backed overcoat. After six years of occasional wear and maybe six dry cleanings, the fusing failed - the coat was covered in bubbles.

During the week I wear suits to work. I am a medical sales representative, so I am in and out of cars and airplanes everyday. I don't have a comfort issue with a coat that is mid-calf length. My concern is for the best silhouette, if the coat is tailored properly (especially from the manufacturer) it will not look like I am wearing a coat cut like a bathrobe.

If the coat's length falls just above the knee, I fear it will go out of style too soon. Mid-calf to just below the knee should be sufficient for suits or casual wear. I want to look good, but not trendy. I wouldn't spend $1K for the Tom Brown look, when I'd rather spend the same and achieve the Tom Ford look.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Thank you for your responses. Hockeyinsider, Polo makes a navy topcoat with a velvet collar and a ticket pocket, too. The fabric is gaberdine, a heavy diagonal wool twill. My beef with this Corneliani made coat is it has fusing.
It might be out of my price range.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Above the knee is something a woman would wear.
Either male or female, a coat below the knee makes them looks shorter and wider. Every coat I have hits just above the knee....it just looks nicer. I'm not short by any means, 6'2" so I don't need to worry about that too much. But shorter people who wear long coats end up looking even shorter, it's a fact.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I wear my coat to walk in. The walk can be up to 1 1/4 miles. I'm not terribly interested in whether I look short or not as against whether I'm dry. My Overcoat comes to mid-calf+ and keeps my thighs and knees dry. Perhaps that's why it's called a coat.

I think that you need to decide whether this is primarily a functional garment before you make a fashion choice. In my view, functional garments that conspicuously carry out that function always look right.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Above the knee is something a woman would wear.
Actually it's the other way around. Although both men and women have worn long coats, women's coats have usually been longer to insure that it covers the dress or skirt which is longer than a man's suit or sport coat. I have seen much more variance in the length of men's overcoats ranging from above the knee to mid-calf level.

Cruiser

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.