Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
As a rule I'm not a fan of untucked shirts with tails, especially an ocbd. I think they look better tucked, but of course that's just me. :)

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
In the past I would have almost certainly commented "if one is wearing a shirt, it should be tucked in at the waist." However, over the past year and a half I really gotten into these vented fishing shirts with those marvelously useful chest cargo pockets and many made with a camp tail on the shirt(s). During the hottest months of the year I can be found frequently wearing these beloved shirts untucked. I do still tuck and recommend that others also tuck in the tails of their OCBD's! ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think wearing a shirt like an OCBD (or any dress shirt) untucked looks very sloppy. I'll only adopt that look when I'm relaxing at home after a day at work.

The untucked dress shirt seems to be the fashion for some reason. What I really don't understand is leaving said shirt untucked and wearing it with a sportcoat. I don't get it.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I think wearing a shirt like an OCBD (or any dress shirt) untucked looks very sloppy. I'll only adopt that look when I'm relaxing at home after a day at work.
Exactly. Almost exactly. Out of habit, I tend to keep my shirt tucked in even at home.

The untucked dress shirt seems to be the fashion for some reason.
Oh, I can explain the reason. All those guys wearing untucked dress shirts are paying tribute to me! They are dressing just as I did as a 6th grader in 1967. And now I want to say to them: "Gentlemen, thanks for the honor. But you can stop now. Your message has been gratefully received, and I will cherish it for the rest of my life. If you absolutely must continue paying homage to me by imitating how I dress, then tuck in your shirt, just as I started doing when I entered the 7th grade-and have continued doing ever since. (Although the fact that I've been in the 7th grade the past 50 years helps. I keep flunking metal shop. I've been told in no uncertain terms: "No promotion to 8th grade until that ashtray is finished.")

What I really don't understand is leaving said shirt untucked and wearing it with a sportcoat. I don't get it.
Neither do I! Some guys do that even when attending matinee theatrical performances. Not a good look at all. If I were a smoker, I'd swat those men on the ass with a carton of Camel cigarettes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Of course length is probably the most important factor in the decision to tuck or untuck, but I would also say the shape of the tail makes a big difference. A shirt with a pronounced dip in the front and back is going to look like you were just too dumb to tuck your shirt in; one that's more even all around would look a little more purposeful IMO.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
In the past I would have almost certainly commented "if one is wearing a shirt, it should be tucked in at the waist." However, over the past year and a half I really gotten into these vented fishing shirts with those marvelously useful chest cargo pockets and many made with a camp tail on the shirt(s). During the hottest months of the year I can be found frequently wearing these beloved shirts untucked. I do still tuck and recommend that others also tuck in the tails of their OCBD's! ;)
There are shirts which most definitely shouldn't be tucked in!

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I agree, but interestingly on my most recent visit to Hawaii I noticed a lot of the local businessmen would wear their aloha shirts tucked.
Thanks for the update! I've never been to Hawaii, but I've seen photos of well turned out gents with their's tucked in. I once had a number of such shirts that were a bit too long for me, and so tucked those. But to my eye, I generally prefer them worn outside the pants.

And when it gets to be about 95F with a dew point of 70F, that's the only way in which I wear my beloved cotton lawn by Tori Richard. Noting I've found is more comfortable!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
What is this fascination with leaving shirts untucked? Is there a similar desire to leave ones shoe laces untied or ones fly open?
It certainly is a bit less work to leave it untucked. You can wear low rise pants and they actually look great. You never have to worry about it becoming untucked and if you have a bit of a belly it kind of hides it. Maybe there are some other advantages. I don't mind a sweater or pullover or even a short sleeve polo shirt so much. But not dress shirts. As alluded earlier, it looks like you are in 6th grade.

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
I do it pretty often.

If I'm not wearing a sports coat or sweater, I don't see the big deal, doesn't look sloppy to me.

On the other hand, I heavily dislike the look ITT described with straight tail shirts. Those look shapeless when worn untucked compared to the curved tail.
What is this fascination with leaving shirts untucked? Is there a similar desire to leave ones shoe laces untied or ones fly open?
1-More comfortable
2-Airier, useful for very sweaty people
3-Looks better if worn with no sweater/jacket/sports coat

Never been a fan of just pants+tucked shirt.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^(In response to post #10)
+1. My friend, if you could incorporate a couple of pleated cargo pockets on the right and left breast areas of that shirt, I'll take one in each color available! Got to have places to stow my wallet and iphone, don't ya know? LOL. ;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It certainly is a bit less work to leave it untucked. You can wear low rise pants and they actually look great. You never have to worry about it becoming untucked and if you have a bit of a belly it kind of hides it. Maybe there are some other advantages. I don't mind a sweater or pullover or even a short sleeve polo shirt so much. But not dress shirts. As alluded earlier, it looks like you are in 6th grade.
an OCBD is not necessarily a dress shirt. in fact, the OCBD's i have trend more casual (Land's End Sail Rigger) and are way too short to even think about tucking.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.