Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
It can be a good value, if you buy it in China. I spent Nov/Dec working in Beijing and picked up a few nice pieces for Christmas presents. As with anything, there is a range of quality and prices. Even the top-end cashmere is a lot cheaper there then here. Buy Chinese cashmere from a top US retailer or department store and you can always return it if you have a problem. I'll spend a fair amount of money on MTM shirts and suits, but for some reason cannot justify big bucks for sweaters as I only wear them on rare occasions.

AD

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
But what if on the jacket is written: pure Chinese cashmere? What it means?
I have an old made in the US overcoat that probably has the same badge.

Doesn't mean anything. All Cashmere comes from Mongolia and some of Mongolia is China.

Cashmere can range in quality from cheap wool to soft and fluffy stuff depending upon the animal and from where on the animal the fur was cut. Then it goes to be processed, sometimes in Italy, sometimes Scotland, China.

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
Mongolian Cashmere is considered the finest on the planet. That is because of the climate and the make-up of the water where the goats are scampering about. Alas, like many things, all cloth that can be called Mongolian Cashmere is not the same. While the raw cashmere may be the same, what happens to the cashmere affects the quality of the cloth produced. Where is the cashmere spun and who will weave and finish the cloth?
Paul Winston
Winston Tailors
www.chipp2.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.