Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Brooks Brothers has something that they call a Chesterfield coat. It's even on sale for $1,300 rather than the original $3500.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/BB_B...d=1&Section_Id=606&CurSeq=0&topParent=mensale

However, it does not have the velvet collar nor is it single-breasted.

I have seen one at Lord and Taylor, but it's quite cheap, so I am not sure about the quality. It does have a black (velvet?) collar and is single-breasted. The material is 80 percent wool, 20 percent cashmere.

https://images.google.com/imgres?im...=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&sa=N

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I don't want to derail the thread..

But since the subject is coats, does anybody recall the BBC show "Bargain Hunt" and the coat the host would occasionally wear? I don't know what it would even be called-maybe it's a Chesterfield?

All I recall is it was long, gray, looked like tweed or muted plaid, and had a velvet collar. It had a slightly anachronistic (classic!) look. I would like to know if anyone knows of a style name or possible source for a coat like that. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My apologies..

Sorry about that. I didn't know what a Chesterfield coat was before reading this post. I'm not for sure if what I saw was a Chesterfield coat. I can't really search for something I don't know of.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The Chesterfield coat is a single-breasted overcoat....

with hidden buttons and a velvet collar. Its length is to the knees. It is usually made of a dark tweed and is suitable for wear with a tuxedo. The BB coat is a Black Fleece and is not a true Chesterfield since it is double breasted. Hickey Freeman made one last year that was a db also. The last time they were really popular was in the mid fifties ( that's when I had one). It is a formal coat and is not suitable for daytime wear.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Sorry not tweed. And mine came to below the knees. It was a black lambs wool about 14 ozs SB with four hidden buttons and a black velvet collar. I am over 6feet tall. With an Italian silk lining of black and gold stripes. It was made by J. C. Wells #12 Hanover Square London (SR Tailor) 1971. It was worn both for formal day and evening dress. It lasted me over 35 years. I grew out of it and some thrift shop received it before moving to FL.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Where do I find them?I have looked everywhere.
An interweb image search of Chesterfield Coat will turn up some leads, most in the UK.

What area of NC? In the first decade of the 21st century, it'd have to be special ordered.

Cardinal of Canada (mfg) may make a Chesterfield.

Perhaps Polo. Such things cycle through Polo every few years. Unfortunately, with the current Pee Wee orientation of PRL, sizing may pose a problem.

Just remembered, Paul Stuart.

N&S Carolina collegiates, as something of a fad, wore black velvet collared grey herringbone Chesterfields to class, over typical trad garb of the time, as recently as the '60s. Another era.

If you're interested in MTM, Mr. Winston of Chipp would probably fit you up.

Are you the type of nonconformist scofflaw that'd throw caution to the wind and wear it before dusk, risking hostile stares at the BBQ joint or farmers' market and prompting panic amongst young'uns and causing blushed maidens to avert eyes?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Penang Lawyer....

I was describing the classic Chesterfield, which usually was made of a dark tweed material. There have been many modification over the years. Mine, which I owned in the 5os, was a dark brown tweed. There is one on the Hickey Freeman site with a few sizes left over from last year. The material is close to that of the Classic Chesterfield: a black and white tweed herringbone. The rest of the coat differs from the classic model in that it doesn't have hidden buttons and sports a peak lapel. It does have the velvet collar. I have seen covert coats tagged as Chesterfield, although nothing could be further from the truth.
None the less, it is a good looking coat. The attractive price of $687 doesn't seem to be attracting many buyers. Perhpas because of its formality, it has limited uses. If I hadn't already gone over my clothing budget for the year, I would buy it.

Note that I didn't say all Chesterfield coats were made of a dark tweed, but that they usually were.

·
Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
8,748 Posts
Jamgood, I thought Cardinal of Canada had closed its doors--is it still in business?

There are likely English suppliers that would have a Chesterfield (mine is a db Gieves & Hawkes RTW). Although seeing the one on the Hickey site you're unlikely to beat it:

640 Posts
Jamgood, I thought Cardinal of Canada had closed its doors--is it still in business?

There are likely English suppliers that would have a Chesterfield (mine is a db Gieves & Hawkes RTW). Although seeing the one on the Hickey site you're unlikely to beat it:
I bought this topcoat when HF put it on sale in the spring.
  • It's very light for a topcoat, lighter than a covert coat. I'd say somewhere in the 13-15 oz. range.
  • It was very boxy when it arrived. It looked pretty poor when I first put it on and I almost sent tit back. Instead I had Paul Chang supress the waist and it came out well. Though not quite as well as that splendid photo above.
  • OP, if you're looking for a classic Chesterfield, thisis not it. But, becuse you live in NC, this coat may suit you very well in your winter climate.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Also try Ben Silver, The Andover Shop, even notoriously overpiced Cable Car
Clothiers. The Crombie Coats all look too wide in the shoulder. Also, ticket
pockets, which I dislike, are faddish; the coat will look dated in a few years.
Burberry and Aquascutum used to make such coats. They were stylish, well-
made and not cheap. Winston Tailors is a good idea. I had a British Warm
from them purchased OTR. It lasted 20 years. A superb coat.

·
Registered
493 Posts

I picked this coat up when it was 50% off, it is a beauty but, it looks nothing like the picture. It is much lighter, the white in the pattern really stands out. The waist has no suppression at all, I spent another $130 with a tailor to get the coat looking presentable.

It is light weight, great for California winters but, if you're east coast, this might carry you through the fall and spring but not winter.

I only wish I had more opportunities to wear mine...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought this topcoat when HF put it on sale in the spring.
  • It's very light for a topcoat, lighter than a covert coat. I'd say somewhere in the 13-15 oz. range.
  • It was very boxy when it arrived. It looked pretty poor when I first put it on and I almost sent tit back. Instead I had Paul Chang supress the waist and it came out well. Though not quite as well as that splendid photo above.
  • OP, if you're looking for a classic Chesterfield, thisis not it. But, becuse you live in NC, this coat may suit you very well in your winter climate.
I agree with you totally on this post

I was disappointed upon arrival of the coat and saw the boxiness. I too almost returned the coat but loved the style.

Mine is still having the waist supressed and sleeve lengthen so I do not know how it turned out. The models on their website always look well dressed but most of their suits I purchased are huge.

640 Posts
I picked this coat up when it was 50% off, it is a beauty but, it looks nothing like the picture. It is much lighter, the white in the pattern really stands out. The waist has no suppression at all, I spent another $130 with a tailor to get the coat looking presentable.

It is light weight, great for California winters but, if you're east coast, this might carry you through the fall and spring but not winter.

I only wish I had more opportunities to wear mine...
^ Yes to each of those. In Chicago this is a spring and autumn coat. It's much too light for the winter. Ecaggerating just a little, it almost feels like wrapping a bandanna with a velvet collar around me when I put it on over a suit.

In California, this would be a splended coat for winters in SFO

I agree with you totally on this post

I was disappointed upon arrival of the coat and saw the boxiness. I too almost returned the coat but loved the style.

Mine is still having the waist supressed and sleeve lengthen so I do not know how it turned out. The models on their website always look well dressed but most of their suits I purchased are huge.
My initial reaction was the same. And with the sleeves let out and waist surpressed, it still dooes not look as fine as the image on the HF website. It still looks good, but not that good. I expect that they ship the coat big to allow customers to go to their tailors and adjust the coat to their bodies.

BTW, one good thing about this picture is that I printed it out and took it with me to the tailor. I was then able to tell him both verbally, and more importantly, graphicaly, what I wanted. I recommend this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.